Chapter Eight

The day passed uneventfully. Kimiko spent most of the day laughing with Neji, and in turn, tried to make him chuckle, just once. His sarcastic remarks and cold attitude towards Lee's hugs was quite a sight to watch, and it made her smile.

"So, you two are going out to sight-see around Konoha? Sounds like fun..." Tenten smiled brightly. "I'm coming too right? You two won't fail to bring me along~!" She nudged Kimiko's arm, and Kimiko in turn nodded eagerly.

"Sure, that is, if Sasuke wouldn't mind you two appearing at his doorstep." Kimiko giggled lightly, pushing Tenten back playfully. "You know, he might look cold on the outside, but he's actually...really, really lonely."

"S-Sasuke?!" Lee gasped sharply, making Kimiko flinch in surprise. "That Uchiha captured Sakura-chan's heart! She's into those kind of people? But he isn't as youthful as me and Gai Sensei!!"

"Lonely?" Neji rolled his eyes. "That Uchiha just won't quit with his bad boy cold attitude. The girls seem to fall for it easily enough."

"Cold attitude? Reminds me of a certain someone." Tenten gave Neji a deadpan look. "Does it remind you of anyone, Neji? Maybe a certain Hyuga? On the team with a certain spandex siblings, and a powerful, strong kunoichi in training~?" Tenten puffed out her chest proudly, hands on her hips. Since she sat pretty close to Kimiko, she nearly got elbowed in the head.

"A strong powerful kunoichi?" Lee beamed. "I agree! You're a pretty strong girl, Tenten! I think you'll do a lot better once you get into Gai Sensei's training regimen though. I got a suit for you!" He reached down into his back, but was interrupted.

"NO!" Tenten widened her eyes and jumped back a bit. "Erm, Lee that isn't necessary. I think i-it should just be you and Gai Sensei's thing..."

"Oh, no, I was just getting Kimiko's!" Lee smiled cheekily. "Kimiko just has to give it a shot!"

"Alright, alright, we get it, oh powerful strong kunoichi." Kimiko rolled her eyes dramatically. "Of course you'll come. And how about later Lee?"

"Aw, fine..." Lee frowned, but brightened up immediately. "You'll be the most youthful girl in Konoha!"

"Enough, Tenten, I'm not that much like Sasuke." Neji scoffed. "We're gonna meet at Sasuke's place. Kimiko's staying there for the time being."

"Sasuke's place, got it! Oh, wasn't it his birthday yesterday?" Tenten said thoughtfully, brows furrowed and eyes staring off into the distance.

"Sakura kept talking about it the other day, so of course!" Lee nodded frantically. "The same day Kimiko came to the village!"

"Maybe destiny sent Kimiko as a gift to the Uchiha..." Tenten said in a low voice, mimicking Neji. "Hehehe~"

"Stop it Tenten." Neji rolled his eyes in annoyance. "It doesn't work like that."

"A gift? Pft, more like a burden..." Kimiko groaned. "He's been treating me like a nuisance ever since I got there."

Lee had been staring at the clock the whole time, waiting for the minutes to tick down. "Yes! It's time for training with Gai Sensei!" Lee rocketed out of his seat and sprinted out the door. "Have fun Kimiko! Get better Neji!"

The three said their goodbyes to Lee, watching him run like a squirrel who just heard his mating call. After he left, they stayed for a much longer time than they would expect. Tenten left for home after the sunset, and Kimiko suspected that Sasuke would want her home soon too.

"You don't have anything better to do than stay with me?" Neji said, after a moment of calm silence. Kimiko had laid her head on the side of his bed and looked sideways at him, occasionally yawning. She laid too far away for Neji to stretch out his hand and touch her head, but it still brought a small warm feeling in his chest.