Chapter Fifteen

[Hey! I'm kinda liking this short chapter idea! >:3 I can push the chapter out easily now ^^

Anyways, this chapter is full of imagery and description, since it is the chapter where Kimiko tries on kimonos! ^^ The image in the media is her final choice.

As always, thanks for reading~!

-Rei-chan]

~~

Neji and Kimiko arrived to the Hyuga compound without any further embarrassing instances, which was quite a relief. The late afternoon sun dusted the world with a heavy golden glow, sleepy and serene. But that didn't stop Kimiko from jumping down to the courtyard and creeping up behind Hinata, earning her a high-pitched scream.

"K-Kimiko!" Hinata nearly died of fright, and her condition worsened when she peeked over her shoulder and saw Neji's disapproving glare. "E-Eh, hello, Neji..."

"Hehe, sorry about that!" Kimiko said cheekily, a bright smile on her face. "Anyways, are you going to the festival? The...flowery one? Two days from now, right?"

"The only one." Neji sighed from behind her, a hand on his hips. "Of course she is, if she wants to be the head of this clan, which she is in no way fit for."

Disregarding her cousin's comment, Hinata nodded slowly with a shy smile. "Yes. But I have to dress up in that stiff kimono again..."

"Speaking of which, Kimiko could use a kimono as well if she's going to the festival with you." Neji spoke, his eyebrow raised and his arms crossed on his chest.

"O-Oh! Of course, Neji, I have plenty Kimiko could choose from!" Hinata stuttered, with her eyes wide and her hand of Kimiko's shoulder. "Follow me."

"A-Alright...." Kimiko mumbled. She looked back at Neji and saw his reluctant nod. They followed the young Hyuga all over the compound until they reached her room, which in fact harbored a room-sized closet full with all kind of patterns and designs for clothes. It was quite a surprise that Hinata could ever wear the same pants and jacket every day.

Kimiko's eyes grew wide as she took in the sight. Colorful silk and shiny fabric lined the walls, filled the drawers, categorized perfectly by color and style. Vibrant flowers, dark swirls and ribbons, even the clan insignia looked much more elegant on that bright kimono. Mannequins posed elegantly at the very end of the room, modeling new and improved designs and patterns. In her state of shock, Kimiko hardly noticed Hinata's bland reaction, like she's seen this every day for her entire life. It was as if Hinata had a secret life as a celebrity behind their backs, but those were the perks of being the clan leader's eldest daughter.

Neji too looked quite amazed by the large selection of fabrics and silken kimonos. He had no idea the type of money the Hyuga Main Branch used, and had always been under the impression that they were conservative about their finances. With that type of cash, he didn't need to wear the same stiff menswear every year for the festival, but...of course, the Main Branch wouldn't share that wealth with the Side Branch. It wasn't a part of their nature. But if Hinata allowed Kimiko a choice of one of their fine dresses, it would be enough for him.

"Alright, Neji, p-please...sit here. I'll go grab some kimonos that might fit Kimiko a little better..." Hinata had led them deep into the abyss of clothes, the glimmer and sheen of the expensive fabric nearly too much for Kimiko to handle. The were led to what looked like a fitting room, with a sliding paper door for privacy. Outside was a cushioned seat, where Neji promptly took his spot.

"I'll be back in a second!" Kimiko said, before stumbling back into the dressing room, arms full of different colored kimonos that Hinata had pushed onto her. With a reluctant shrug, Kimiko began to tug off her shirt as she grabbed one of the hangers.