Chapter five

Dear Diary,

I'd like to think the first thing that really makes a difference to a person is their room.

When I think of all the music I love, I wonder how to submerge my room in it, apart from the obvious.

I think my love for all things musical is strange.

I've never met anyone who loves it as much as I do.

♫ ♩

Chapter five

When Sakhi arrived at work precisely at nine o’ two, she knew something was up, judging by the big goofy grin on Chelsea’s face.

“What’s going on?”

“Anita is finally on maternity leave.”

“And that matters to us?” She placed her bag on the table and stretched, noting the appointments list she had to skim through before meeting Lucy to brief her on the day ahead.

“It means they’ll be looking for someone with minimum qualifications to temporarily replace her.”

At that point, the phone rang. Lucy was calling, probably for an extra dollop of cream on her morning cup of coffee.

“Yes, Lucy?”

“Sakhi, come meet me in my office.”

“Shall I bring—”

“Now.”

Eyes wide, breath steady, she placed the receiver back on the stand and stood. Had she cancelled that appointment with MIS last evening? She had, she was sure she had. She’d also followed her boss’s explicit orders on what clients she should forward and whom she should tell the lie ‘Lucy Sarvok isn’t in right now. Shall I take a message?’ The print for ‘Augustine and Me’ was due for the coming Monday, and to be fair, she’d done everything she bloody could to please her. If only she wasn’t so demanding and treacherous all the time, then maybe she could focus and not mess things up.

“Sakhi?”

“Yes?”

“Lucy’s waving you over.”

On her heels, at last, Sakhi forced herself to stop thinking so much and just face the day and get it over with. Pen and notepad in hand, Sakhi told herself she had much to look forward to, even if she was going to get bashed and beaten, or worse, fired. There wasn’t a thing she wasn’t prepared for, and all she needed to face this new problem was a smile. Smiling always worked for her. Pretending to understand and writing notes about things always saved her before. They would save her now as well.

“Can you never be on time, Sakhi?” Lucy scolded as she entered her cabin and shut the door behind her.

“Sorry, Lucy. You wanted to see me?” Smile, Sakhi.

“Yes. Do you remember the cover page I asked you to decline and follow up with something better last week?”

What Sakhi remembered was running to every designer to try and please her insane boss whilst juggling meaningless jobs like bringing her expensive lunch from Utop’s and buying her an anniversary present for her husband, Luke.

“For the travel book by Zach Carter?”

“Precisely. I’d like you to edit his next book, seeing as I’d rather have you doing it than Chelsea, and God knows you’re both unqualified for the task, but beggars can’t be choosers, can they.”

Sakhi stood, stunned.

“Submit the first edit by this time next week and I’ll give you Anita’s job temporarily.” Lucy waved her off then. “Michael will help you with any questions you have and shift you to Anita’s desk. Now, off with you. I’ve got enough on my plate as it is.”