That's My Book!

That's My Book!

December 26, 2013.

Alex calls me asking if I can come over and watch the movie with him. I accept and get ready. I told him I would come over at 7. I'm having lunch with Lara on her day off.

"So what are your plans later?" She asks as she takes a bit of her sandwhich.

"I'm going to Alex's house to watch a movie." I answer her.

"As a date?" The edges of her lips tilt up.

"No. Get your head out of the gutter." I scold her.

"Sorry." She laughs under her breathe.

"I just remember, I never asked if it was ok if my friend could come over for a couple days?" I ask Lara.

"A girl friend? Or boy friend?" She questions.

"A guy friend." I laugh.

"Is he anything special?" She smirks again.

"No. I mean yes. He's my best friend. That's all." I shake my head.

"Ok. Just wondering. And he's good to come over." She smiles.

------

At 6:45 I follow the directions Alex texted me how to get to his house. I get to his house and its a small flat that's connected to another flat, side by side. Definitely a bachelor pad. I ring the doorbell and a minute latter he swings open the door and invites me in.

"So I didn't know what kind of candy you liked, so I got everything." Alex smiles.

I look at his coffee table and there is a mountain of candy. We sit down and he presses play for the movie. I'm happy I decided on sweatpants and a hoodie, because he is wearing the same thing. I wasn't going to wear a dress to hang out and watch a movie with him, because this isn't a date.

This isn't a date, do you hear me?

We talk throughout the whole movie.

"So what was it like going to a school here?" I tuck my legs under myself and face him.

"Boring. Nothing too exciting. I just couldn't wait to get out. What about you? " He does the same and faces me.

"I wasn't popular but I wasn't a loser. I really only hung out with one friend the most." I grab a handful of gummy bears.

"Best friend?" He smiles.

"Very best. What about you did you have a best friend?" I nudge him in the side and give him a cheesy grin.

"I do actually. Well I did." He sighs. I can tell I accidentally hit a nerve.

"What happened?" I question.

"She told me she was in love with me." She?

"Ooh. I'm guessing you didn't feel the same way." I ask him.

"Not really. So why did you leave the states? " He changes the subject.

"I wanted to get away." I stare the tv.

"Bullshit." He smirks.

I sigh. "My dad is abusive."

"Where is your mum?" He moves closer to me.

"She has altezheimers and ran away to a convent in Argentina." I shrug my shoulders.

"What?" He laughs.

"I'm serious." I hit his chest, but I crack a smile too.

"A convent? In South America?" He bites back a smile.