A Blanket of Snow

A Blanket of Snow

4

I can't believe my dad showed up at Jase's house. Well actually, I can believe it, I just don't know why. If he cares for me somewhere deep down then this is news to me.

I hope he doesn't find me or try to contact me. I don't want to be there obviously. He is smart enough to realize that.

I wake up the next morning and smell pancakes. I check the clock and its 2 o'clock. I have to be at work in 30 minutes, lovely.

I roll over and look up out my window. There is a thick layer of snow covering the ground. The snow is frozen onto the trees that are scattered outside my window. I stand up and walk to the window.

The window frame is wide enough for me to sit on, the only problem is its kinda high.

I take a couple steps back, getting a running start, and jump up there.

I pull my knees to my chest and rest my head against the cool window.

Snow, I love the snow. It always makes me smile. I check the clock and it read 2:14.

Crap! Fell asleep against the window, now my cheek is wet from the condensation. No time for a shower now.

I run over to my suitcase and throw on some clothes. I run down the stairs and snatch a few pancakes from the tray. I throw on my shoes and coat and book it outside.

I make it into the pub on time. The town itself is buzzing with people and so is the pub. I place my coat and scarf on the rack. The time is 2:27. Just on time. I walk behind the bar and wash my hands.

Alexander walks out from the kitchen; he is carrying a box on his shoulder. I never noticed before, but he has some muscles on him. And him carrying that box shows off his biceps.

"Hello." I smile.

"Hey. Sleep well?" He smirks, setting down the box.

"Yeah?" I question, why did he ask that? He must have seen the weird look on my face and the wheels turning in my head.

"You have sheet marks on your face." He touches my cheek. My face heats up with embarrassment.

"So what do I do?" I lean against the bar.

"Just man the bar. Or woman the bar. Ha. " He laughs at his own joke.

"Wow, if this whole bar tending thing doesn't work out you should so be a comedian." He rolls his eyes at my comment.

"I like her, she's feisty." I turn around to the guy who said that at the other end of the bar. His friend next to him laughs.

"Hello, I'm Eugene and this is my good friend, George." The man, Eugene pats George's back. George tips his hat. Alex walks over to me.

"These two nut cases come in almost every day." Alex says to me and pointing to the two men.

"We have to do something to occupy our time." Eugene says.

"You could spend time with your wife?" Alex suggest.

"Now why would he do that?" George comments. The three guys bust out laughing.

"So lass, what's your name?" George smiles.

"I'm Nova, I'm the new bartender." I stand up straight.

"Bartender? Are you joking?" He smirks.

"No Sir." I shake my head. Both men's eyes open wider.

"Well Give me horns and call me a sheep." Eugene says and looks blown away from my comment.