Time For Me To Leave

Dedicated to my aunt who is exactly like Aunt Lara in the story.

Time For Me To Leave.

1

"Why can't you do anything right?" My dad yells at me for the millionth time tonight.

"Don't even start with me, please stop yelling; I don't want to start an argument with you again." I plea. Every time he shouts, I flinch. His angry voice fills the entire house. This happens almost every night. Everything sets him off. I breathe wrong, an argument happens. I look at him strangely, something is thrown at me. This is the usual in my house.

"Only because you start it!" He points his finger in my face.

"Dad, I'm going to my room. Please, just drop it." I roll my eyes. I give up easily now days it's harder to fight when you know the only outcome is me losing.

I walk down the hall to my room and shut the door. Grabbing my iPod, I blast my music into my headphones. I hear a loud banging noise which means he is at my door. I take my time walking to my door and slowly open it, smiling sweetly and saying, "Yes?" This always pisses him off further.

"Open the door." (The door is open.)

"Ok, come on in." I smile. I move out of the way and sit on my bed, preparing myself for the amount of verbal abuse that will happen tonight. It's 9:34, so the argument will probably last until one or two in the morning.

"Where is the Tupperware bowl that goes with this lid?" He holds up the piece of plastic.

"I don't know." I shrug.

"Well you better find it!" He raises his voice and throws the container against the wall. The lid hit a picture frame after it hit the wall. He storms out of my room and I follow him to try and find the stupid bowl.

This happens all the time, if it doesn't magically fall into his hands then it's missing and I stole it. Normally he chooses the second option. Like I said, this happens all the time. I long for a boring night. A night filled with silence where I can't find anything to watch on tv. Or even the wifi goes out, that sounds perfect compared to this.

I search through the cabinets in search of the bowl. He has so many of these ridiculous containers it's stupid. He buys tons of them, and he even writes his initials on them so he knows they are his. All this for some Tupperware. I can't find the bowl so I tell my dad. That results in him storming into the kitchen and pushing me out of the way so he can look.

"Why did you steal it?!" He yells into my ear. Wow, please use a tic tac.

"I didn't steal it! Why would I take a stupid bowl. Oh am I such a rebellious teen now that I take Tupperwear now to show my rebellion? Ooh. Scary!" I mock him.

"Don't try and be clever. You look like an ass." He snarls. My dad walks around the kitchen very angry. Clearly.

"I don't know where your bowl is so can I please go?" I bite my tongue and stand up, tears prick at me eyes.

"No, you need to do the dishes and the laundry. When that's done sweep the floors." He grabs a beer from the fridge and goes to the living room.

"But dad it's 10 o'clock. Can't it wait until tomorrow, when I have nothing to do?" I follow after him.

"No! Now stop complaining and do it." My dad says, not even looking at me. The football team now captures his attention.

"You know what, no." I stop in my tracks.

"What did you say?" He slowly turns around to glare at me.

"I said no. I'm not doing it. I have been up since seven a.m. cleaning this whole house that You get dirty. I'm not your slave." I say to him through gritted teeth, that strength that comes out surprises both of us. I try and control my voice so it doesn't come out nervous.