Green Skulls and Ghost Busters

7

"What!" I stand up.

"Your father showed up, at my door step while I was baking cookies." She stays calm. I'm glad one of us is.

"Why?!" I pace back and forth.

"He was asking if I had seen you and maybe if you showed up here. I lied and said I hadn't seen you. I figured you had ran away for some reason." She stands up and puts her hands on my shoulders. I take a deep breathe and look at her.

"Is he still in town?" I walk to the window and peak the curtains.

"No. He said he was going back to Portland." She pours us a cup of tea.

"My God." I slowly sit back on the couch. I start processing all that's going on.

"I know we don't know each other all that well, but I am here for you." She smiles and she hands me the cup of tea.

With that she walked into the kitchen to finish her baking. I grab a roll of wrapping paper and took my bag upstairs to wrap the gifts.

My dad was here. Here, in Athlone. He hates travel, I think that's what stumps me that most. I think my dad cares for me somewhere, maybe in the very bottom of his cold black heart, but not enough to chase after me. Maybe he missed his punching bag.

That's actually is a great reason.

Great now I won't be able to sleep because of his stupid visit. I never thought he would come here. He hates Lara! And he would always make it clear.

I didn't even consider what I would do if he found me. I am legal so he can't make me go back with him. Would I relocate again? Gosh now I have to think where I would go. Crap this is all giving me a headache and the wrapping paper isn't cooperating with me so I'm gonna to bed early. Good night, say a prayer for me that my dad takes a hint.

• • • • • •

Christmas Is here!!!!! Yay! Finally. Lara has been baking like crazy and I have been working my butt off so these next couple days I have off will be amazing.

Currently it is 2 o'clock. I just woke up and I an walking downstairs because I smell food. Always a good reason to get up, food.

Lara is in the kitchen, her apron is covered with flour and she is running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

"Merry Christmas." I yawn. I see the giant batch of cookies and I decide that will be my breakfast.

"Oh! Merry Christmas dear." She turns around and smiles at me then goes back to cooking.

I sit on the couch and look out the window. I love white Christmases. We almost always had one back home, so I'm happy that hasn't changed.

"What time is Alex coming?" She asks from the open kitchen. There is no wall separating the dinning room, kitchen and living room.

"3." I munch on a cookie.

"Nova, it's 2 shouldn't you be getting ready?" She looks up from the food.

"Oh crap!" I run up the stairs and hop in the shower. I wouldn't have rushed but I'm wearing a dress and I need to shave my legs. And any lady who is reading this understands my stress. It takes too much time to shave you legs.

I dress in a dark red dress and I dry my hair and add some makeup. As I'm placing the last bobby pin in my hair I hear the doorbell ring.

I smooth out my dress and walk to the front door. As I swing open the door and a cold breeze blows in making me shiver.

"Merry Christmas." Alex smiles at me.

"You too. Oh and happy birthday." I smile.

"Thanks."

"Come in." He steps inside and hangs his scarf and jacket up.

"I'll take that." I grab the gift and place them under the tree. I turn around and look at him. He looks great.

Definitely a different look then his normal rugged bartender look.

"You look-beautiful." He smiles.

"Thanks." I turn away so he can't see my blush. "And you look different."

"Thanks?" I laugh.

"No. I mean good different. You look sharp. Like you would go to a country club." I snicker.

"Foods ready!" Lara yells from across the room. The two of us walk into the dinning room and all three of us sit around the pink table.

After dinner we all went into the living room to chat and open gifts. With my hot chocolate in hand I hand out the presents.

"Ok Alex, you're our guest so you first." Lara says. He opens the first bag from me and pulls out the Swiss Army knife.
I got him the knife because is he always trying to open something, but can't because he can't find anything to use. Quite pathetic.

Then he grabs his second bag which is his birthday present. He pulls out the Ghostbusters movie. We were talking at the pub one night and he mentioned how much of a Bill Muray fan he was but never saw the movie.

"Thank you. But why two?" He smiles, flipping over the movie.

"One is the Christmas gift and the other, your birthday present."

"Well I love it and you will have to come over to watch the movie with me. Hold my hand incase I get scared." He winks.

"Ok your turn,Nova." Lara claps. I open the first box and its a pair of boots and gloves from Lara.

"I love it Lara, thank you."

"You'll look cute in it." She smiles.

I grabbed the bag that has the gift from Alex. I carefully opened it up, unsure of what is inside. It was a long brimmed, black Fedora; on the side it had a small peacock feather.

I immediately put the hat on my head and smiled.

"How did you know I like hats?" I grinned.

"You are always wearing them." Alex says. "Some people don't look good in hats and you always look great in them."

"Thanks." I smile at him.

"Be mushy gushy later!" Lara complains and makes a gagging noise. "Now it's my turn." She rips open the bag and pulls out the line green, ceramic skull. When she holds it in hand she shrieks then holds it out in front of her.

"To BE not to be, that is the question." Lara says quoting Hamlet then giggles at herself.

She opens the next bag and her eyes widen when she sees the doorknob I bought for her. But it is not a normal doorknob. The doorknob is in shape of a hand. So if you need to open the door you have to grab the hand like you are giving it a handshake. It's very funny.

Lara jumps up and hugs me. "Alex happy birthday and Merry Christmas. Thank you for the presents but please for give me because I need to put my new doorknob on my door." She laughs and jumps off then running last the kitchen.

"It's getting late, I better be off." Alex says. He stands up and takes my hands and helps me up.

"Ok." I walk Alex to the door. He stands there putting on his jacket and scarf, he looks down at me and smiles.

"I had a great time tonight. Thanks again for inviting." He smiles. He opens his mouth to say something but closes his mouth.

"Well no one should be left alone for Christmas or their birthday."

"Right," he chuckles.

I look up into his bright eyes and notice something floating above my head. I look up further and see mistletoe.

Mistletoe! Uh-oh.

"Look, mistletoe," he points to the green leaves above my head.

"Yeah," I laugh nervously.

"Mistletoe," he pauses, "Always a crowd pleaser." He smirks and steps closer to me. I notice his face is getting closer to mine and I'm standing on my tippy toes to reach him.

"It's so cool and it works- " I turn to see Lara standing there with an evil grin. "Never mind, it's seems you're busy." She winks and turns away.

"Merry Christmas." I whisper.

"Merry Christmas." He walks out the door with his present in hand. I shut the door behind him. Lovely, he didn't kiss me.

"Lara!!" I shout and chase after her.