Prologue - [The Fall of Avaryn]

Start from the beginning

  The night was the longest that any citizen of Raffyre had faced. But it went too quickly for Avaryn, as he crossed the country with speed that was inhumane, destroying hundreds of lives and throwing thousands more into despair.

  Finally, he came to Amberdyse.

  This village, unlike the rest, was precious to him. It was his second home. And that was why he left it for last.

  The villagers had already gotten word of Avaryn’s massacre and came to face him, prepared.

  But they of all people should have known that they were no match for him, no matter what weapon they attacked him with.

  He went on to slaughter the last three hundred names on his list, and he killed them as easily as he did the others.

  And when he slit the last man’s throat, a bead of sweat dripped down his forehead.

  He expected it to be over, but then he heard a man running towards him, and from the sound of his voice and footsteps, he knew exactly who it was.

  Avaryn turned around as he pulled his sword out of its sheathe. He pointed it at the man who was like a father to him.

  A man who took care of him and loved him like his own son.

  Lord Kyrus stopped in his tracks, just far enough to avoid running his throat straight through the sword.

  “Avaryn.” He said, his black eyes filled with sadness. “I prayed that this wasn’t true.”

  Avaryn didn’t say anything.

  “How could you do this?” He asked. “These people were your friends.”         

  “They were traitors.”

  “You have been blinded by evil, son.” He said. “You must stop this, you are only a boy.”

  “No. That’s not true.” Avaryn said. “And I am not a boy, I’ve lived for sixteen years. And do you really think a boy could have done this?”

  Lord Kyrus looked into Avaryn’s blood red irises, which were filled with dread, misery and evil. “Then will you kill me too?” He asked. “I’m not a fool, I know I cannot kill you.”

  Avaryn looked at his Lord. “You are not a traitor.”

  Lord Kyrus narrowed his eyes.

  And Avaryn lowered his sword. “Forgive me.” He said before he stabbed his sword deep into his Lord’s leg.

  Lord Kyrus let out a gasp as he fell down onto the floor, grabbing his leg in pain.

  Avaryn stepped back.

  “Where will you go now?” Lord Kyrus asked, looking up at Avaryn with pain filled eyes.

  “There is one last thing I must do, and you will never see me again.”

  Lord Kyrus glared at the boy. “Don’t.”

  Avaryn took another step back.           

  “I will not allow you to see her, Avaryn!” He yelled.

  But as he closed his mouth, his disturbed son-in-law vanished into thin air.

  Meenu slept as soundly as usual in her comfortable bed, with her sweet pup Knight close by her side.

  Climbing into her room through her open window, Avaryn watched for just a moment.

  And then a shout that came from far off in her village startled her awake.