9

Unedited

9. Next to you

"People always told us that we were different. They thought of Summer being cold and distant, while me is...warm and sociable."

Ethan brought me at the back of the school. I didn't have any idea that there's a place like this here. He told me that the place was hidden and nobody knew about it. He was accidentally discovered it when he was roaming around last year, to find peace. Whenever he is bored, he always go here and sleep.

As I look around, I can't help but be amazed. The place have plenty of trees on the side. But in the middle, you will see different kind of flowers. It's so beautiful, like a paradise. It's truly a sight to see. I wonder why there's a place like this here. Did the owner of the school made this?

"And what can you say?" He asks me. "Do you agree?" He leans on the tree behind us. I did the same.

"They told that." I smile tremulously. "I don't mind if they thought we were different. I always love her. She is my only sister."

"I see." He only said that and then, he reached for the small basket beside me. "What's this?" He suddenly open it and his forehead creases. "Cookies, huh?" He picked one and about to eat when I stop him.

"Don't!" I shouted. He just stares at me. "It's already dirty." I mumble and look away. He didn't say anything.

"Why?" He asks lowly.

"It's actually for my sister." I sadly said. "I thought it was her favorite. So, I made it last night. That's my first time to bake, actually." I blushed a little. "I'm sort of... Well, I'm hoping that she will like it and..."

"It's delicious." My eyes widen as I heard him murmur while chewing the cookies.

"I told you not to eat! Ethan!" I groaned in disbelief. "It's not clean anymore. It might upset your stomach...."

"I don't care." He shrugs. "Besides, you made this. I wouldn't missed it in the world." I bowed my head to hide my blushing cheeks.

'Maybe were friends

Maybe were more

Maybe it's just my imagination

But I see you stare just a little too long...'

"Thank you, I guess." I whispered. Silence envelops us after that. But it didn't feel awkward. It's a kind of warm and comforting. Just like the way I always feel whenever he's around. "Can I ask you about something?"

"Yeah?" He said mumbling, looking like a five year old with his favorite cookies.

"Why are you doing this?" He paused for a while. I felt his gaze on me. But I didn't bother to look back. He didn't say anything.

"What am I doing?" He asked back.

"You're always with me." I said hesitantly. "I mean, we are strangers." I sigh. "You hold my hands at my first day here. It's not normal." I shook my head. "The other day, you called me in an endearment." I felt my cheeks blushed when I mentioned it.

"Endearment, huh." He teased me. I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up!" I pouted. "Seriously." I wrap my arms around my knees and put my chin above it.

"Snow White." He murmurs.

"Huh?" I shot back. He messed with my hair and stand up. He put his both hands into his jeans pocket. I look at him sideways.

"Because you are Snow White." He said but still not looking at me.

"I don't understand." I whisper.

"You're so white. Your lips are red." He grins. "I thought I saw Snow White infront of me that day. Except your hair is not black and long."

"Oh." I smile. "I didn't know that you're into fairy tales." I can't understand how it was related to my question. But then, I still listened.

"I'm not." His gaze turns on me. "My Mom was."

"She likes Snow White?" He nods.

"It's her favorite fairy tale character as she told me." He shrugs. "She always told me her stories when I was a kid. It irritates me as hell because I thought it's for girls." I laugh a bit. "She told me that someday, I will find my own Snow White." I never thought that he will tell me about his mother.

"Really?" He grins again. I wonder if he believes on that.

"Yes. She never missed a day, telling me that Snow White story. That I guess, I memorize it word by word." He chuckle.

"Are you the only child?"

"Yes."

"I see." Maybe his Mom longed for a daughter to tell fairy tale stories. My Mom used to read me those. "I bet your Mom is very sweet."

"You can say that."

"I would love to meet your Mom." I blurted out.

"I think, she will love to meet you too." He smile sadly. "But I'm afraid she can't."

"Why?" I ask. "Is she in another place?"

"She died when I was six." My eyes widen.

"I'm very sorry, Ethan." I apologized immediately. It must be hard. I know how it feels. I stand up hastily and touch his arm. Our gaze met. "I lost my parents too when I was turning six. You know-" He holds my hand touching his arm, cutting me off.

"I like you." He suddenly pulled me into his chest. I felt his arms wraps around my waist. I realized, he is hugging me now.

My heart beats erratically. I don't know what to say. It's so sudden. One minute, we were talking about his mother. Then, he suddenly told me that he likes me. Is it the real reason? Did he really likes me?

'Maybe were friends

Maybe were more

Maybe it's just my imagination

But I see you stare just a little too long

And it makes me start to wonder

So baby call me crazy

But I think you feel it too

Maybe I, Maybe I

Just got to get next to you...'

"You like me." I mumble on his chest. It's the first time that a guy told me those words. I felt him kiss my head, it send me chills all over my skin.

"Did I answer your question now, Snow White?" He asks lowly. I punch his chest weakly.

"You talk with me in riddles a while ago. I didn't understand you." I shook my head. "But in the end, you'll tell me all of a sudden that you like me. You're so weird." I pouted as I heard him laugh. I pulled away from him.

"Do not stare at me."

"You are blushing."

"Shut up!" I hissed.

"I like you."

"Stop saying that!" He chuckles and say it again and again to tease me. For a while, I forgot my problem with Summer.

*************************************************

Thank you for reading and supporting.

-Elle Jacinto

VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.