chapter 42

*Megan with 10k's sniper*

[Megan's POV]

I woke up early the next morning and stretched my arms up looking over at the time. it was 7:00 am and I yawned getting out of bed. I put on my shoes, grabbed my bow, and zipped up my new jacket and left a little note to 10k saying I was off helping around town. this way I could see what we where getting into with this town which I don't understand why 10k doesn't get that.

I met up with Red and she escorted me over to their head of chief police. he was a tall guy with tan skin and brown hair. he had the old fashion police belt on which gave me a sense that maybe he really was one pre Z time. his name pin read "lieutenant Charles" on it. 

we shook hands and we all walked into a single story building that turns out was actually the real towns police force.  he showed me over to a clear desk and said it was mine and this was just so weird in how real this job was starting to feel. there wasn't many other enforcers here, I actually got to meet them all and not counting me there was only 4. Red, Cole, Charles, and Preston making me 5.

"for your first day we'll just place you on the main wall, you and Red can handle that together," Charles said.

we both nodded and headed out to the wall. once we where stationed up on top of the wall we sat in lawn chairs that where up there and stared out on the road.

"so are you and Cole a thing?" I asked her.

"eww! no where related," she chuckled.

I felt my face heat up a bit and let out a chuckle as well.

"we lived together before this and we where the only two of my family to make it out," she shrugged.

"I'm sorry," I told her.

"it's alright, but what about you and 10k what's your story?" she asked.

"well, it feels like such a long time ago," I laughed.

I explained to her briefly how it all stared over a chewy deer and I was just the crazy girl living in a tree but we helped each other survive afterwards until we found the group. I told her about the group and how they became family but I did decide to leave the Murphy part out.

"wow seems complicated," she looked at me.

"ya, but how about you how did you find this place?" I wondered.

"I grew up in this town so Scott took us in and we helped get this place up and running and before we know it people are flooding in. we all have different skills to keep it running from the agriculture to the mechanics," she told me. 

we must of chatted for an hour letting the time fly by. it was cold out here I could feel my jaw trembling slightly but I pulled my police jacket closer to me. my eyes caught onto some movement off the road behind a fallen tree but I couldn't tell if it was just my mind. my eyes where pretty sore from staring at the solid white color of the snow.

"did you see that..." Red said standing out of her chair.

"get down!" I yelled seeing people.

I got up and stepped over grabbing Red and felt gun shots brush past me and I jumped off the tall wall and let my self roll when we hit the bottom inside the road and quickly took cover inside the armory condo.

"you hit?" I asked Red.

"no, thanks," she said in shock.

I peeked over the window inside the condo and could see threw the bared fences and could see a handful of men standing in the middle of the road.