chapter 3

[Megan's POV]

I watched as the thief set up his camp near the stream. I couldn't figure out why he had done so, there was still a good amount of day light left. he put together a small fire and then had settled down against a tree and shut his eyes. Is he crazy!? Theres infected out here, and they won't take pity on somebody sleeping. I decided I would wait for it to get a little darker before going in and stealing the deer I had tracked down earlier.

I sat behind a bush and waited, studying his camp set up. The bag with the meat was a few feet away from him, which was a mistake, if he needed to run he would have to get up and go get it. A long sniper rifle was curled up in his lap though, the only safe thing I think he's done.

I got tired of waiting and quietly came out of the bush. the guy was still asleep and I crept towards his bag that was only a little bit in front of me. Creeping, my foot slid in the dirt and leaves making a tiny bit of noise, I looked up at the stranger to see he hadn't woken up. I took a small breath before continuing forward. I crouched all the way down and picked up his back pack. wow? it was light...

I heard a rustling in front of me and my head jerked up in time to see the man standing up, a rope in his hand. he quickly started to pull it and a net shot up from underneath me and soon I was a few feet off the ground tangled inside the rope, loose leaves falling on top of my. Immediately, I felt like an idiot and all the puzzle pieces had put them selfs together. why he stopped so early, the bag far away from him, sleeping in the open. The whole act was a trap... just for stupid old me. I tried reaching for my knife but I froze when I heard a gun load.

"I wouldn't do that if I where you," the man said. He voice was deep and serious, eyes locked on me watching my every move, my every breath. I put my hands up and looked over to him holding his sniper at me.

"you got me, now what are you gonna do, shoot me?" I asked.

"why where you following me," he interrogated me. 

"you have something that belongs to me," I snapped at him. he looked at me with a questioned face waiting for me to explain. I sighed in frustration and put my hands down, he wasn't gonna kill me.

"the deer you stumbled on earlier, I had been tracking it until you came along," I told him.

"that's what this is about? the skinny deer I took down," he said in an obnoxious tone.

"that's the one," I said a little annoyed. he shook his head and walked behind the tree he had been "sleeping" on, and soon I was falling until I hit the ground.

"hey watch it!" I yelled. I ripped the net off me and got up off the ground. he came back around the tree and pulled out another back pack he had and pulled out a bandana. Tossing it to me, I caught it and unwrapped the deer meat he had carved.

"your just giving this to me?" I asked him, confused.

"it's not like it was much, I doubt it will taste good anyways," he shrugged.

"well food is food," I said, I guess agreeing.

"duck!" he yelled making me jump. I panicked and hit the floor right as a gun shot went off. I heard a thud and I turned around, laying on my back. A dead corpse laid there with a bullet hole in its head.

"thanks..." I said, a little shocked.

"don't thank me yet," he said as I heard another gun shot. I jumped to my feet and grabbed my bow off the ground holding an arrow on the string. the bushes next to me rustled and I spun pulling the bow back and letting it go. Another corpse came falling out, an arrow in its head. I ripped it out placing it back into the string. Looking around it seemed like more and more infected were pouring out of every crevasse.