chaper 21

[Megan's POV]

it's been 2 weeks since Cassandra's death and 10k'a been taking it pretty hard. he's almost gone mute and where all really worried about him.

about a week ago something big happened and nuclear missiles went off landing somewhere unknown. citizen Z had been talking about how we was trying to hack into something my guess is maybe he messed up and triggered the missiles... . we lost contact with him since then and there's some sort of message on a loop talking about Murphy and how he's the savior for man kind and how he needs to get to California alive and that who ever does it gets a great reward and first dibs on the cure. well since then bounty hunters have been looking for Murphy and a new zombie has presented it self.

blasters. their fast, smart, strong, and hunt in packs. we've been running into them a lot lately. there zombies killed by the nuclear blast and for some reason it made them like super zombies and are near impossible to kill.  

it was about to be night fall and we where stopped on some sort of back road surrounded by trees. finally... somewhere I know my way around. we set up a small fire and the sun was still barely in the sky.

"I'm gonna see if I can find some food before it gets to dark," I said picking up my bow.

"good take 10k with you just in case," Warren said.

"ya and bring me some food Pocahontas," Murphy smirked at me.

"the only thing I'm gonna be giving you is my foot up your ass," I said aggressively.

"rude," he frowned.

I rolled my eyes which I've been finding I do a lot with Murphy around. I grabbed 10k and we headed into the woods and I started looking for any signs or tracks.

"how've you been?" I asked him following some tracks.

"been better.." he grumbled.

I motioned him to duck down and we stared at a brown hog eating some weeds. this pig is mine... I pulled an arrow out of my quiver and aimed it at the hog unaware I was even there and let it go hitting the pig in its head.

"Doc is gonna love the sound sizzling bacon in the morning," I chuckled standing over the dead pig.

"ya..." 10k replied.

I looked at staring blankly at me and I finally had enough of it.

"it wasn't your fault she died-"

"don't!" he cut me off, "don't try to make me feel better, cause I don't... and I don't want to feel better, I want to feel nothing.".

I was shocked at his words as they settled in my mind. he really believes he could of saved her.

"I understand you two where close. but we've all lost people..." I told him.

"ya and who did you loose! cause I watched my entire family die!" he yelled.

he must of attracted a near by Z and it came wandering out the bushes. I pulled another arrow out and shot it in the head and felt tears starting to form in my eyes. I ripped my arrow from the Z's skull and turned back around to face 10k.

"well at least you didn't have to kill them!" I yelled back.

he didn't argue back, realizing his mistake in words and shocked at what I had reviled to him.  I shook my head and grabbed the hog hoisting it over my shoulder, dam this things heavy.

"here let me help," 10k said reached out.

"I got it," I said sharply walking back to the group.

he walked behind me quietly as I followed the path back to the camp. it was dark now and soon I heard the groups voices and I walked through the trees.

"dam kid! I can smell the bacon already," Doc said exited.

I dropped the pig down by the fire and said nothing walking towards the truck.  I reached inside and grabbed my bag and pulled out my hammock, I haven't seen this thing in a long time. I started to set it up in a tree by the fire and could feel the groups eyes on me.

"need any help?" 10k said behind me.

"thanks, but I got it," I said blowing him off.

I heard him sigh and he turned me around and looked at me.

"I'm sorry, for what I said I had no right to call you out like that. and your right, it's time to get over my grief," he told me.

"your right... you did have no right to call me out. but it's already happened and in the past so it doesn't matter anymore," I told him going back to work.

he frowned and went back and sat at the fire and I finished my hammock and sat on it. I missed this... sure it wasn't 100ft up but I mean this is still nice. I laid down and looked up at the sky through the tree branches, sometimes we forget to take a breather and appreciate the few beautiful things left in this world. somebody cleared their throat and I looked over at 10k standing next to me. I felt kinda bad for how I reacted.

"hey," he said.

"hi," I said back. 

I scooted over on my wide hammock and patted the space next to me. 10k laid down next to me and put his arm behind his head as a pillow and looked up into the sky with me.

"do you wanna talk about it?" he asked me.

I sighed knowing what he was asking me of.

"it was me, my mom, my dad, and my little brother when all this started," I told him.

"how old was your brother?" he asked.

"his name was Sam, he was 7..." I said.

he didn't say anything so I continued with my story.

"my mom died after a few months from being sick. my dad got bit a month later and he died..." I said.

"did you have to give him mercy?" he asked me.

"no... I made a promise to him that I would but I-I got scared so I grabbed Sam and ran threw the forest as fast as I could," I said feeling a tear slip down my face. "a month after that me and Sam where together and a women came up to our camp and wanted our food. Sam was going to the bathroom and spooked the lady when he came out and she shot him... she stole our food and left him to turn. let's just say I kept my promise the 2nd time around..." I finished.

I felt his arm wrap around my shoulders and hold me close to him.

"I'm sorry," he said.

I let the tears go and I turned on my side to face him and wrapped my arms around his torso and cried into his chest. he brushed my hair back with his hand to try and calm me down.

"my dad killed him self..." he said.

I looked up at him and he stared down at me and wiped a tear off my cheek with his thumb.

"I've never told anyone that before..." he said.

"I'm sorry," I told him.

he wrapped his arm tighter around me and I rested my head back down on his chest. it's been a very emotional night...

hey guys hope you like it! this book has almost 900 reads! that's amazing and thanks to all you guys who vote or comment on my chapters! so remember to follow me for information of details! and hope you like the new cover!

>>>don't be a silent reader!<<<
VOTE
COMMENT
AND
FOLLOW:)