chapter 4

*picture of ten thousand (a.k.a. 10k) plus his sniper rifle*
[Megan's POV]

The sky was still dark, it had only been a few hours of sitting awkwardly on a branch, my butt was starting to go numb.

"Let me take watch," ten thousand said, startling me, I hadn't realized he was awake. I looked down at him sitting up in the hammock as he began to climb out and pull him self onto the same branch as me. I thought about it for a while, how can I trust him? I only just met the guy, I mean true he trusted me enough not to stab him but it takes a lot more then killing a few zombies to gain my trust.

"Come on, your exhausted," he pointed out. Don't get me wrong, he was right, I was pretty over run right now. I decided to take his offer and swung my body down into the hammock. I watched cautiously as he slid over on the branch to where I had been and sat in nearly the exact same position.

"how do I know your not just gonna kill me in my sleep?" I spit out. he looked at me almost as if shocked that he would do such a thing.

"I could have left you in that net, but I didn't, you also didn't attack me in my sleep so you deserve the same," he said. I shook my head slightly seeing his point. I still don't trust him but exhaustion was getting the better of me.

"how long you think we'll be up here?" he asked. I leaned over a little, looking towards the ground, a few infected had wondered off but many still remained.

"we'll wait until day break and then deal with the rest then," I suggested. 10k nodded in response and then looked away from me ending the short conversation. It's been so weird having somebody to talk to, even if it was a stranger. I pushed that all aside and shut my eyes, I found that sleep came easily within only a few minutes.

[10k's POV]

>>>few hours later<<<

the sun was coming out finally and I swear my tail bone has a bruise on it now. I leaned forward stretching my arms out and glared down at the floor. 1...2...3...4.........14??

14 zombies lingered the bottom of the tree. I couldn't wait to get the hell out of here and back into the city... I turned my attention over to Megan, she was still sleeping. I found there was something different about her, I was curious how long she's been out here by herself, was she with a group before?

*BANG*

I jerked at the loud gun shot.

*thud*

I looked down seeing the zombies walk towards the shot and I noticed one had fallen.

*BANG*
*BANG*

Megan had sat up and was looking at me confused. I put a finger to my mouth to tell her to be quiet and I leaned to the side and peeked through the scope of my sniper. It's difficult to see far when all you see is trees... reasons why I like to stay in the city. I heard voices coming towards us, and then watched 3 or 4 men with automatic rifles step into site.

"The hell were they after?" one said loud enough for me to hear. I panicked and moved across the branch and into the hammock hoping they wouldn't look up. Megan slid over and laid flat and tried not to move. I listened closely to try and see what they where saying.

"Who cares, they probably wanted a bird or something," a different man spoke.

"let's stop here a minute and check these Z's for any supplies," another said loudly. I clenched my fists tight just wishing they would move on. the hammock was just big enough that Megan and I could fit with our stuff piled on top of us, but other than that we were squished together awkwardly. A good 5 minutes of silence went by before somebody started talking again.

"This would be a nice place to set up a permanent camp, the stream next to us, the distance of people," one said.

"It would, we'll have to wait till we get back to camp to get a bigger team out here," the one with a deeper voice spoke. If only they could be more wrong... they had no idea two people where dangling right above them.

"let's move out," I heard, the words seeming like a blessing. I sighed relieved they where moving on. We waited another minute or so before looking down seeing nothing but dead zombies. Megan climbed out first and I followed as we sat on the branch above. Then she started untying things?

"what are you doing?" I asked.

"you heard them? there gonna have more people coming back, people means competition, competition means more food for the dead and less silence for me," she explained in a monotone voice. She pulled a rope and the hammock came off on one side and she slid over and untied the other. it only took a minute for the hammock to be completely removed and stuffed into a small bag along with all the ropes for it.

"So your just gonna up and move?" I asked her. Her eyes met up with mine, I didn't notice how hazily brown they were before.

"Yes, and it's not the first time I've done so, don't you have somewhere to be? Thought this was just a quick stop," she said coldly. I mean she had a point, I did have a path I was going on. I was headed into the city.

"So where will you go?" I asked. Why am I dragging this out?

"Not sure, maybe deeper into the mountains," she shrugged, "or maybe towards the coast?"

Together we climbed down and it felt good to have my feet planted on flat ground again. Getting the rope we used to get up down was tricky but we managed to snag it and put it away. Facing each other awkwardly there was a moment of silence.

"So I guess this is good bye?" Megan asked. I'm better on my own but it never killed anybody for company. Plus, I was actually enjoying having somebody else around for a change, even if it was a complete stranger who seemed to want nothing to do with me.

"what direction you going?" I asked.

"For now, south," she answered.

"I happen to be going the same way, we should go together," I suggested, "plus I don't know my way through these woods". she thought about it before nodding her head and waving me to move along. what am I doing? I was heading north...

hey guys hope you liked it I'll put put a picture of Megan's bow up next chapter.
>>>don't be a silent reader!<<<
VOTE,
COMMENT,
AND
FOLLOW