Chapter 37

Thirty Seven.

D a n i e l.

I followed Darren up the stairs, making sure to step over the guard that was laying at the foot of the stairs. I watched in grim delight as he groaned, writhing in pain. The venom was entering his bloodstream, and would eventually poison him. And he wasn’t a pureblood, so he wouldn’t be able to heal from this.

Darren was like a snake, with the way he silently slithered along the banister going further and further up the stairs. There was no sound, just the dull lagging heartbeat behind my ears. We had our guns positioned, anticipating anything. I barely glanced down behind me, and I saw a flash of black. Someone was following me.

“Someone is behind me. I’ll catch up in a moment.” I told him, wanting to cover for him, but also wanting to keep myself in the clear.

It was a tricky thing to do because the larger the space between Darren and I grew, the more obvious the whole situation looked. I searched the space for any sign of life, a pulse, a thought, hell even a breath of air. But I heard nothing. Just as I was about to speed back up towards Darren, I was tapped on the back. Turning around fully now, I saw that nothing was there. But obviously there had to be.

Turning back around and starting to follow Darren again, I could feel that something wasn’t right. Gripping the gun in my hand, with my finger positioned on the trigger, I spun around, too fast for any normal vampire to see.

My gun was by his temple, and my other hand was wrapped around his throat. I could feel the slow, steady pulse from the vein my fingers were gripped directly above. I could see the fear in his eyes, but there was also something else; humor.

Henry struggled to breathe as I tightened my grip on his throat. It was his doing. All of it. He was the reason why we were all here, at this mansion at this very minute. If I had been around for just a while longer, I could have killed him.

 In rage, I dug my fingers deeper, delighting in the five small rivers of blood I had created at his throat. I was going to make sure he died, and suffered.

“Where is she?” I demanded, my voice cold and hard. It echoed in the big space around us. Darren was behind me in an instant, his gun pressed against the other side of Henry’s face.

“Now, if you tell me, I just might kill you painlessly. You know its better that way.” I said, my fangs extending and the venom building up in my gums. I could almost smell his fear.

 Adrenaline in a vampire was such an enticing experience. Because we still held a  very human trait which is a beating, functioning heart, we were also able to produce adrenaline. When the chemical was mixed with the blood, it was such an inviting, invigorating scent. My fangs longed to sink into this mongrel’s neck,

He started laughing maniacally, with my hand still gripping his throat. I could see the desperate tears leak from his pathetic eyes. Eyes that seemed like they were black bottomless pits. Coughing between laughs, he finally looked me in the eye.

“You’re really the biggest idiot I’ve ever met.” He said, with his disgusting grin plastered on.

“I mean, if you had just ignored her, none of this would have happened. None of it.” He continued, with a sober expression.

He was right. They all were. If I had ignored her, her scent, her pulse…

If I had just moved away from this place and never got involved then we would all be safe right now. Safe in our homes, continuing with our lives. Maybe my mother would have been different with Dane. Maybe Dhalia wouldn’t have been so bitter, and ignorant. Maybe Darren and I would have never had this tension between us. My father would have definitely been at our sides. He wouldn’t have been holed up in a god damn cell for over a year because of me.

ME.

This was all my fault.

But, would it had been worth it? To live a life where everything was expected, easy and not happy in the slightest way? To wonder everyday if I would ever have what my parents had, with someone else? Was all of this a mistake?

“I’m a vampire, Henry and its in my nature to get what I want. And, I always get what I want.” I bared my fangs at him, watching the fear flash through his eyes.

“And right now, I want you dead.” I pressed my gun to his temple and fired. I stepped back, releasing my hold on his throat and watched his body tumble down the stairs. I turned back to Darren, nodding towards the top.

“She’s in the last room on the left.” I said, suddenly knowing exactly where she was.

“How the hell do you know that?”

“ I don’t know. Its like I could feel her.” I said while walking past him and further up the stairs.

I fired the bullet before the guard even had a chance to turn around. I heard the dull buzz of the bullet being fired and then watched it lodge itself in his neck. Then there was the dull thud of his body slumping to the floor. There was something satisfying in seeing him die. I couldn’t shake the fascination that compelled me to wait there until the life was drained from his eyes.

I didn’t feel any remorse for killing someone that was more likely used by Angelo the same way my father was. The only thing I could feel was my rage. And it was rising dangerously high.

“That’s the room.” I nodded towards while I reloaded a full magazine into the gun.

“I’m ready when you are.” He told me and then I briefly looked at him.

I was grateful that my own brother would rather risk his life doing something like this for me. Sure, the venom wouldn’t kill him, because he was a pureblood. But it would hurt him and they can surely kill him if they wanted to. He wasn’t chosen like I was. I didn’t think I could bare to see my brother die here tonight.

For a minute, I thought maybe he was reconsidering. And if he wanted out I would have let him leave. This wasn’t his battle. It was mine. But he surprised me when he grabbed a set of throwing knives from his belt.

“Are we going in or not?” He asked with a wicked grin.

I nodded once more and kicked down the door. Joseph and Angelo looked up in surprise. Darren was already one step ahead of me with the daggers slicing through the air and landing in Joseph’s neck. The blades cut deep causing Joseph to cry out in pain. There was a series of gun fire and I didn’t know who was firing at who, but I was able to dodge all the bullets that came at me.

I aimed and fired my gun at the approaching guards that were coming at me from all sides. I felt the sharp pain of a bullet grazing the side of my arm and another on the left side of my face. The blood started flowing freely from the wounds but I couldn’t let the pain stop me from killing them. From killing Angelo.

Darren was firing his own shots, and had two down with one behind him. I aimed and shot at the one who was behind my brother and turned around just in time to tackle the one that was coming around to stab me with their own blade. I fired a shot right between their eyes and watched their body go limp. As soon as the gunfire had quieted, I searched the room for my brother. He was at the back corner hunched forward, with his hand cradling his side.

I saw the blood seeping through his fingers.

He was shot.

 At that moment he fell to the ground. Vampire venom was like a shot of acid in the veins of a pureblood. He will die slowly and painfully unless I get him out of here right now.

He was going to die here.

Turning away from him, I had to figure out a way to get both Aria and Darren out of here alive. I suddenly wished the blonde haired fool had come with us.

Facing Angelo for the first time since coming into this room, I watched as his pale face adorned a gruesome grin. He was standing beside a stone table where I could just make out a person lying on it. Aria.

My blood boiled at the close proximity between him and the table. He had a blade right over her heart, but his eyes were focused on me.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” He said to me in a taunting voice as I raised my gun to fire.

“It takes about the same amount of time for me to stab your precious mate in the heart, as it takes for that bullet to land in my head. I wouldn’t want to risk it if I were you.”

Even though Aria was immortal, she would still feel the pain. And I didn’t know if she had decided her own fate: that she should die.

His annoying voice tore at my resolve. I wanted so badly to kill him and leave but out of the shadows I saw figures emerge. More guards, about four of them. Each armed and aimed at me. I couldn’t win. Not with Angelo at an advantage like this.

“Now, be a good boy and lets wait for her to wake up.” He said.

I could feel his guards closing in on me slowly. Surrounding me. I could hear the faint gasps coming from my dying brother. I could hear the slow, steady heartbeat from Aria. I could feel it.

But I couldn’t win this. Not alone. Not like this.

What was I going to do?

_____________________________________

I know. The wait was horrible. Sorry about that. As I've been saying, school is taking up my time blehh. If this chapter sucks, sorry. I am trying to finish the story without rushing it and making it sound like a jumbled mess. I will not make you guys wait an eternity for the next chapter. I will try to get it up sooner. -Jess.