Chapter 32

Thirty Two.

“Most of us crucify ourselves between two thieves; regret for the past and fear of the future.”--Fulton Oursler

A r i a.

I was strapped in the back seat of a black Mercedes. My hands were tied behind me, making me uncomfortable. Henry was driving and we were nearing the outskirts of town, headed for California. I kept watching outside the windows searching for signs of anywhere familiar. I had come this way before with Daniel and his family when we were going to their safe house in Los Angeles. But I didn’t recognize any of the places we passed.

Henry barely glanced at the road. His dark eyes were staring at the rear view mirror at me. There was a wicked grin plastered to his gruesome face. I swallowed back a scream. I was not going to look weak in front of him. I was not going to let this monster intimidate me.

Closing my eyes, I heard his voice inside my head.

“What’s wrong? Where are you?” Daniel’s words were hurried and frantic. I snapped my eyes opened, determined not to give myself away. When I was sure my face would remain expressionless, I answered.

“Henry. He killed the guards outside and he’s taking me somewhere. All I can tell you is that we are headed for California.” My words were rushed and jumbled together but I was hoping that it would make sense all the same.

“Why? He has no reason to take you.” I could feel his confusion and anger build up inside me. Taking in a deep breath, I tried to calm myself. The last thing I needed was to act on Daniel’s emotions.

“He wanted Jonah. But Daniel, I think he knows something about the bond.” Well wasn’t that the understatement of the year? He definitely knew that Daniel and I were bonded to each other. But did he know the other part of the secret?

“I’m coming for you. Just keep looking around outside. I can get a sense of location from your thoughts.”

His voice was stern and made me realize just how scared he was of losing me. I knew that I didn’t make this experience easy for him, with all the accusations and the secrets that still remained between us. But in this moment, I was glad that we had this connection, because it felt so good to know that someone was able to feel my fear. I wasn’t totally alone anymore.

Just as he finished speaking, Henry turned on the exit of the free way. He then drove the car about three blocks down, before turning into a street that was almost hidden by a thick piece of forestry.

I tried to get street names, or road signs but there were none in sight. There were no buildings, just the ever growing forest that seemed to take up both sides of the road. Daniel kept voicing words of assurance in my head, but they didn’t soothe me. I was scared out of my mind. I tried to ignore the pain in my chest. My heart struggled to beat as quickly as my fears were coursing through me. I was in need of blood. I could feel my strength leaving me.

Henry kept driving until the tar road became one of dirt. The car bounced on the uneven road. The sun was going down, making it even more difficult for me to get a clear visual of where we were going. He made a left and drove for about three minutes before he made another left. I could see a stone building off into the distance.

We did not speak to each other for the entire drive. I would only see him staring at me through the mirror, and each time his grin would become more and more sinister. He drove right up to the building, and cut the engine. He came out and came around to the back to more or less yank me out.

“What’s the matter Aria? You were awfully quiet in the car.”

His disgustingly cold breath was by my ear. I cringed away but couldn’t get very far. He yanked me back to him and started dragging me up the stairs that led to the front door.