Chapter 10

Ten.

D a n i e l.

I tore my gaze away from the woman I was feeding from. There was a new feeling stirring inside of me. Something along the lines of extreme sadness and regret. It was almost as if this woman’s agony affected me.

Was I feeling guilt? No it was stronger than that. I was feeling remorse.

Why?

This never happened to me before. I pushed the feeling to the back of my mind, trying to ignore it and continued to feed from the woman. The hunger inside of me was too strong. It called on my most primal instincts, to tear the throat of the victim and to drink until her heart stopped beating. I brought my lips back on her neck. I could feel her pulse vibrating wildly beneath my lips. It was so close.

But the pulse echoed inside of my head. It was in time with my breathing, erratic and frantic. And it did not belong to the woman I was currently feeding from. I got a flash of golden hair and swirling blue eyes.

Her face was imprinted into my mind. I saw her everywhere I went. I heard her, even when I didn’t want to. Right now my mind was fabricating some fantasy about her seeing me attacking this poor woman.

A part of me wondered how Aria would react, if she found out what I really was. Would she be afraid?

Of course she would. My mind scolded me.

I was the very epitome of fear. I wasn’t even supposed to be real in her world.  I stood up, shoving the woman aside, suddenly not hungry anymore and picked up my jacket and left. My venom would erase her memory soon enough, and she won’t remember anything.

It took me a minute to realize that I was giving up my hunt for a mere human. Angry at myself, I found my car and sped away.

I had to kill her, and it was going to be now.

~

A r i a.

I sat down on a chair on the porch and opened my book, enjoying the afternoon sun. Rowan was sleeping on the couch. They let her out of the hospital this morning and my parents told me I could spend the next two days with her at my house. I was glad for the time off from the diner. But I was also dreading it. Too much spare time on my hands was never a good thing.

His blue-green eyes filled my vision. I wasn’t seeing the book in front of me anymore. Instead I saw him, and his beautiful honey blonde hair, and his soft lips that I missed so much. I remembered the fight we had right before he left. It was as clear as day in my memory.

I had just walked into his house from school, and I went straight up into his room. He was two years older than me, and a senior, and that meant he had fewer classes and got out much earlier than me.

When I opened his door, his room was a complete mess. Clothes were thrown everywhere, and trash littered the floors. And he was stuffing things into a bag.

“Jonah, what’s going on? What happened?” I asked him. I walked further into the room, not daring to step closer to him. His back was facing me, but from what I could tell, he hesitated to face me. But when he did, his face was rigid, hardly recognizable.

“I’m sorry Aria. But I should have told you sooner. This--” he gestured between the two of us “isn’t going to work. I’m sorry.” He said.

The slight smile that was on my face slipped gradually. I felt as if someone knocked the breath right out of me. When I didn’t say anything he continued speaking.