Chapter 14

Fourteen.

A r i a.

I just sat there and stared. Was he serious? But he said mate. What was a mate? What did he mean extreme? All these questions bubbled at my lips. Images of bloody, contorted faces with dripping fangs and pale skin flooded my mind. That was all I could see when I thought about vampires. Daniel couldn’t be a vampire.

“Stop thinking about that crap. They got almost everything wrong. Stupid humans.”

He mumbled that last bit. I drew in a shaky breath, too scared to even move. How could he even know what I was thinking?

 But then I looked over at him. And even in the midst of finding out who he really was, and all this crazy shit about vampires, he was the most beautiful thing I had ever laid my eyes on. There was seriously something wrong with me if I was still thinking that he was attractive.

“Say something.” He nearly growled, causing me to jump up nearly a foot from where I was sitting.

His eyes were a solid blue, but I noticed the widening and retracting of the black ring. He was having trouble with controlling his emotions. That was the most I could gather.

“W-what do you mean about m-mates?” I asked him, stammering over the words as they filed out of my mouth.

I glanced at my hands, not realizing that they were shaking until now.

“You know, that whole ‘we belong to each other’ crap. Mates. Normal vampires come across their mates in the natural way. There’s something inside of them that leads one vampire to their mate. Its almost instinctual. Then there’s me…”

He paused and I watched his expression change from bored to saddened.

“I’m a vampire from one of the strongest bloodlines in the history of our kind. My family comes from that. We are also the last remaining pure bloodline of our species. We are called The Firsts. None of The Firsts have never found their true mate before. The dancing pulse was thought of as just a myth. It has been told in legends that it exists, but it never actually happened before.”

He stopped letting me absorb everything. But why did this make him sad? I felt like the more he explained, the more questions would arise.

It was sort of a relief to know at least something about him and how this vampire stuff worked. But it scared the shit out of me. How was this happening right now?

I felt like I needed to ask as many questions as I could. It felt like at any moment he would decide he wouldn’t tell me any more. And not knowing was more frightening than getting just a glimpse.

“You said you were never human.” I found my voice finally, but it was trembling with fear.

“What does that mean exactly?”

He looked at me as if I said I saw a pig flying. The incredulous look made me embarrassed, but it was one more embarrassing question that was out of the way.

“The same way you were born to your parents, well I was born to my own. Vampires age differently than humans. We appear as normal people but we’re not. We grow from our baby stage, to a sort of prolonged adolescent stage. After we are about eleven years old, we start experiencing the changes of the transition from a half-vampire to a full vampire. Aging slows down, and every five years, we age one full human year.”

This was fascinating yet confusing at the same time. Daniel had to be older than he looked. He didn’t look a day over twenty years old.

“What are the changes?”