confessions of a brown girl // fcuksure

Im a Pakistani English born Muslim. And there's a lot to notice as a second grader (in the us and third year in england) I was afraid to invite the new girl to my house because she was afraid of my religion. guess what? her father was in the army has had most probably killed my people! my brothers and sisters all over Asia and the rest of the world too! I'm frustrated by the fact that I can't help me mum without being called a good girl, something so stereotypical for a female in my country. I hate it, I help my mum but everyone will consider it the norm but it shatters me inside. I feel like the person I am is disappearing as the days go on. and get this, im only a fourteen year old. white people dont really get this, this stereotype. it's not even an option we practically HAVE TO ( i live in Pakistan fyi).

and also, I hate it when (white) people wear mehndi/henna and white mehndi/henna just makes me more mad. they take our traditions and then change it to for themselves. I can recall being a little kid, wearing mehndi on my hands because of a wedding and coming to school with my friends claiming I got a tattoos and telling the teacher on me. they tried to get me in trouble for embracing my culture! and then they just wear it all the time, like its okay when I do it, but an actual south Asian/African/midd eastern not really! But okay can we have your - oh wait, white people dont have a culture to take, or at least one anyone would WANT to take.

my mums legit married someone of her own choice, was one of the first people from her community to go to uni and has raised this person witting to you know. i remember my heritage, i am probably one of the most Asia people ever, my ancestors come from Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, India and Pakistan. If anyone feels the pain of death, it would be me. MY PEOPLE, ALL MY COUNTIES, I WILL FIGHT TO BE HEARD AND I SWEAR TO GOD WHITE PEOPLE GET ON MY NERVES.

-layna, 14, pakistani (punjabi and kashmiri and proud to be)