racial profiling // mattandshawnsbae47

I just wanted to write this because on Thursday, I was in my local grocery store and I experienced something I thought would never happen to me. I was racially profiled. my cousin, my sister, as well as myself, were racially profiled. We had walked in on our way home from school because my cousin wanted a soda. She got it and we were standing in front of a candy stand. She was currently digging in her pocket for another dollar she had brought to cover tax. Then, the store manager had come up behind us. She was holding a bag of candy, and I thought she as trying to get past us to stock the shelf of candy. So, I politely said, "Oh, I'm so sorry, were you trying to get through to stock this?" And she smiles and says, "Oh no, you guys just make me nervous with your backpacks." We just looked at her, amazed she would say that. Normally, I would just move on, because I'm the type of person who would bottle it up and blow up about it months later. But my cousin went back for something else, and we went with her. The manager follows us up and down the isle, up until we check out and leave the premises. I told my mother what happened, and my cousin told her Mom. My Mom was calling corporate and my Aunt went into the store to talk with her. She was explaining how it offended us and how it was unprofessional to do that. We could have moved on from there. She then says, "I'm sorry, but it's typically their culture to steal." I will have you know, my cousin, my sister and I are all POC. (I am biracial, but if you are not 100% European a.k.a white, you are a person of color). It is quite obvious. She said it's POC culture to steal. My aunt was pissed. She said this would be higher than corporate, and more than likely a legal issue, because she is racially discriminating, and it's defamation of character. I know for a fact she only does it with POC because I've seen plenty of white people come in with backpacks and not be harassed at all. I never thought I would ever have to go through something like this. Growing up, my parents told me that I too one day might be discriminated against because of my heritage. Me being so young, I didn't understand. The fact that racism and prejudiced ideas and theories are still out her disgusts me. Hopefully, children and adults in the future can go out one day feeling proud of who they are and where they came from, and don't face these issues like I did that day. If you ever see things like these, please speak up so we can finally put an end to stereotypes, prejudice and racism altogether.

Jasmin, 16, U.S.A, Multiracial, (black, white, and hispanic) and fucking proud of it