a six letter word// zuzuthejest

beauty -- the six letter word that determines whether a young girl with skin like mine, uncontrollably curly hair like mine and a background like mine will ever be loved. a word that could be shouted from the highest mountain so everyone could hear, but the first thing that would come to a majority's head wouldn't be a person with skin like mine, or uncontrollably curly hair like mine, or a background like mine. 

many would see the milky white skin of a barbie dollrather than the brown sugar skin of a smiling young girl with crooked teeth and cornrows 

 many would see the straight blonde hair of a flawless model rather than the kinky black curls of a sunkissed village girl

 as a twelve year old girl being exposed and being educated about the world's "high" standards, I've realized how, without even being told the exact words, the entire world has told me that because of my culture's standards of beauty, i will never be loved. 

sometimes not even by my own race. 

the news is taking over every naive mind they can. 

the media is brainwashing us 

our children, our friends, our teachers. 

 i know absolutely no one who could look at an absolutely gorgeous black girl and say that she's gorgeous. maybe she's "pretty for a black girl". or maybe her skin is "too uneven" or her hair is "too big" or her dark lipstick is making her look "white-washed." 

 i know nobody who can look at a magazine that supports superficiality and white beauty, and realize that they're being lied to and deceived.

 i know no one who can realize that a white american girl wearing a "new, summer style" is really appropriating bantu knots. 

but whats even worse? reverse racism, right? 

-zuzu;12;black