Chapter 26 - Late Night Talk

I open my eyes slowly. Looking around, I see that I'm on the balcony of my cottage. Was it all a dream? As I start to raise my head off the table, a F/F falls out of my hair. My eyes widen as I quickly stand up, looking at the flower that fell on the table.

"It wasn't.... a dream?" I whisper to myself and rub one of my eyes. As I glance back down to the table and pick up the flower, I see my journal open and writen on a once blank page:

If today was your last day and tomorrow was too late, could you say goodbye to yesterday?

I smile as I read this and write down my answer:

Not yet. I still have some things to do today.

I look up from my journal and look out to the shore. It's very pretty during the night. The white moon refleks of the dark sea and it has a beautiful, not just sight but feel to it. I sigh and pick up my things from the table. As I turn to walk inside, I take one more glance to the shore.

I decide that, maybe, going down there will give me some inspiration. I take my things and head for the beach. Stopping just by the end of the beach, I sit down and open my journal.

What if I can't do it? What if I'm destined to fail? Maybe the headmaster knows this and is trying to tell me to give up. That could be the reason. I mean, he hasn't given anyone else such a task.

"Maybe I should give up...." I murmur to myself, looking at my feet in the sand.

"Why would you want to give up?" I snap my head in the direction the voice came, just to see Masato. I sigh and then raise an eyebrow at him. Why is he just walking around during the night?

"Hey, Masato, you scared me."

"I'm sorry, I just saw you sitting here and got curious." I give him a nod. Who wouldn't be curious when they see a girl by herself, during the night, sitting on a beach?

"Join me." I scoot over to give him more room. He takes a seat next to me and gives me a nod in thanks.

"Do you have something on your mind?" I glance at him with the corner of my eye and let out a sigh. Looking back at the sea, I try to decide rather to tell him on not. To hell with it all....

"The headmaster gave me a challanging task."

"How so?"

"He thinks, that because of the fact that I made myself a reputation as a solo artist and composer, that writing a song is too easy for me. He wants me to compose and sing a song by myself and help someone else with their song." as I finish telling him everything, I'm holding my head and looking at the sand beneath me. I feel like a small amout of weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

"That's new even for the headmaster and what he gave you is quite difficult."

"Thank you, Masato. I already knew that...." feeling like I'm going to cry, I burry my face into Masato's shoulder.

"I'm sure that the headmaster wouldn't have given you that task if you couldn't do it. I believe in you and I'm sure that everyone else believes as well." I look up at him to see him giving me a small, but very rare, smile of his.

"I just feel like there isn't enough time...." I shift but continue to lean on him, turning my attention back to the see. I feel like all the energy that I had until now has been drained out of me.

"This is just the first day of camp, plus-" I glance at him with the corner of my eye.

"-along with the time here, you have some time as well when we get back." a smile finds it's way onto my face.

"Thank you, Masato. I really needed to hear that." he nods at me and I look back to the sea but glance at him with the corner of my eye.

"So, what's bothering you? I'm sure you didn't come here to hear me rant." he doesn't say anything for some time.

"I've decided who I want to be my partner-" I smirk finds it's way onto my face as soon as I hear that.

"-but it seems like I can't find a way to tell her." oh, that's so cute. I couldn't help myself, I just had to ask,

"Are you referring to Haru-chan?" I could see the shock on his face, even though he wasn't looking at me. He slowly turned his head, his eyes sparked with curiosity, at me.

"How did you...." restraining myself from smirking, I just smiled instead.

"It isn't that hard, Masato." he didn't say anything in return which made me sigh.

"Look, I think that you should-"

"When they first started talking about partners, you were the first that came to mind." my eyes widen as I fully turn to face him. He has got to be kidding, right? But that thoughtful look on his face makes me think otherwise.

"I wonder...." he mumbled to himself as if he was lost in his own little world. What's he on about?

"Masato?" he looked back at me and it seemed like he was studying me for some reason and then he shook his head lightly.

"It's nothing you should worry about." I raise an eyebrow in question. It doesn't seem like that but I'll leave him be for now.

"You wanted to tell me what should I do, correct?" my eyes widened as I shook me head and cleared my throat.

"Y-yeah, you should tell her and see what happens. Be open about what you're feeling." he nods at me and then looks back out to the shore.

"Thank you." I nod, still a bit confused, and start to slowly stand up. He follows after me.

"I don't know how much of what I said helped you but I hope it did, at least a little...."

"It did, Y/N." I glance at him with the corner of my eye and smile.

"I'm glad that you're here. I like your company very much." I chuckle but am cut off as he suddenly pulls me into a hug. Which caught me off guard but made me smile. I have a bad feeling that this will end badly for someone of them but I hug him back. I wonder why he's so open with his emotions?

He lets go of me and I pull back with a smile on my face.

"I'm glad I could help." just then I saw the sun starting to raise slowly behind the horizon. It's a new day.... How fitting. I really think that now I got to know Masato even better.

I glance at him as he's looking at the sun raise. I don't know why but he somehow reminds me of Hiro-kun. I look at my feet. I haven't thought of him in a while. I shake my head of the though and sigh.

"I got to go, Masato. See you around." I turn around as start to walk way. I don't need to turn around to see that he nodded at me. He isn't one of those people that shows his emotions a lot but there are times, like tonight, when he opens up and you learn that he's troubled, like everyone else.

As I was coming closer to my cabin, I started to slow down as I noticed someone standing by it. Who is that? By the time I got back to my cabin, the sun was already fully up. Once I was close enough, I saw that it was Ren.

"Ren?" he turned around with a smile on his face, it was that flirty smile. He had a flower in his hand and started walking over to me.

"Good morning, my lady." I look to the side to stop the blush from showing on my cheeks. He stoped in front of me. This island must be doing something to me.

"The island air told me that the person to make music for me, Jinguji Ren ,is Y/N L/N. You." my eyes widen in shock.