Chapter XVI | A Cold Heart Melts

Start from the beginning

He paused to let the information soak in and he continued. "But when I broken into the castle about an evil sorceress who was to be destroyed; I wanted nothing more than to help that person. That person is you. And I feel that my job isn't over until that damn tribe is obliterated and never to hurt you again. I really, truly care about you, Regina. I lost my best friend and you're my new one," he said and she could tell he was getting emotional. "And if I lost you then I'd have nothing again."

"Ben-"

"Please just listen! I'm saying that if it ever comes down to it--just to save you--I would most certainly give up my life so that you could live. You've made a complete turn around of what you once were and you deserve every bit of happiness."

She squeezed his hands and her eyes were teary. "Ben I can't loose you either. You mean so much to me. The fact that you've dedicated your life to protect me...I don't even know how to respond. I really care about you, Benjamin. I hate that you've gone through so much in your life, so much loss. And I would easily give my life for you too because that's what you deserve! You've spent all this time with me and you deserve your happy ending too because you're a hero Ben," she said as tears fell and she pulled him into a hug so he couldn't see.

"You are too, Regina. What some may see as a monster I see a beautiful heroic woman, a great mother, a caring person, and the greatest of all heroes--the one who is sacrificial just out of love. You are one tough cookie," he joked and she laughed cutely.

"I love that laugh," he said.

"I love those dimples-

"Ugh stop flirting," Zelena said as she walked by.

"We were not flirting we were complimenting each other," Regina explained.

"So...flirting? Because you two are blushing," Zelena pointed out, walking into the kitchen.

Regina growled and looked back at Ben who had a huge grin on his face. "Shut up, Ben," she spat and walked away.

"Such a lovely woman," he whispered to himself.

...

A Week Later

Regina had helped Ben get a job at the sheriff station was almost immediately promoted to deputy. He kept playing with his badge because it was shiny and it peaked his interest. Unlike when he found zippers amusing Regina found it cute that he kept fidgeting with his badge.

She told herself constantly not to think that way but sometimes it was just impossible. Ben just happened to be a really adorable deputy and Regina couldn't help it. "Regina?" Ben called. "Regina?"

"What? Shouldn't you be out there, handcuffing criminals?" Regina asked bitterly.

"What's wrong with you lately, Regina? You've been acting-"

"What like a biotch?" She hissed, crossing her arms.

"No no--just tense. I don't know what's wrong. Did I say something?"

"You've been clinging to me non-stop! What's wrong with you?! What do you want from me?!"

"Regina-"

"What do you want?!" Regina asked with hands on her hips. Their faces were close.

"This. Us," he answered and he placed his hands on her face and pulled her into a kiss that he waited an eternity to do.

She wasn't surprised. She liked him too. Not as much as he liked her, but she had a big crush on him. After being stiff for a few seconds she kissed back. Okay okay maybe it's more than a crush.  She pushed him away even though the kiss felt amazing.

"I'm sorry," he said in a small voice.

"I'm sorry I yelled, okay? But we should stay friends. That's all we are. You're here to help me not kiss me," she struggled to say as he nodded while trying to hold in tears.

"I understand," he lied and flashed a fake smile.

She walked past him and out of the station. He crashed into the spinning chair as the tears finally fell. What IS wrong with me? Why did I kiss her? That was foolish of me to think she'd like me back. But then again why did she kiss back? Maybe she felt pressured? Maybe I pressured her? I've been the one hurting her.

That's what's wrong.

To be continued...

Oh Regina....she's one tough nut to crack. Ben's heartbroken 😓. But Regina isn't any better because she's conflicted. Will it be resolved?

What do you guys want to call Ben and Regina? Ren? Begina? Renjamin? Ben was a bandit so...BanditQueen? Your preference.