c h a p t e r 1 2 : a l w a y s

Start from the beginning

Stop running away.

"I'm so sorry, Lily," I mutter, clenching my fists, feeling the wind against my bare skin.

You should be.

After what you've done.

The town is lit up, brightly, like a field of lights underneath the twinkling stars, everyone at home and spending their time with their loved ones, enjoying life, something that I have longed to do for years but keep failing time and time again.

From up here, you can really see how small this town is, something many of us tend to forget. And I can imagine only how tiny and insignificant it is on a map, in comparison to the rest of the world, places like London and New York City.

But even then, how is it that such a tiny town has managed to make such a huge impact on my life, and such a huge hole in my heart.

"I miss you," I whisper, a tear sliding down my cheek, letting the wind carry my words away, hopefully to the person they're meant for.

*

"Sam, Sam, hurry up! You're so slow!" she said, giggling.

"Alright, Lily. I'm coming. Can't you be more patient? You're like a grumpy old grandma," I teased.

I reached the top of the hill and joined Lily under the tree, just after the trail ends. Her dark hair was tied up in a high ponytail and she donned a white halter neck with black shorts and navy sneakers. She's smiling, glowing with happiness and positivity, the Lily I've come to know over the years, the girl I've come to love.

The wind was strong, playing with our hair and blowing hard against our bodies.

"Aren't you cold?" I asked.

She shook her head. "Why would I be?" she replied nonchalantly.

I shrugged dramatically. "Oh, I don't know. Maybe because of the strong wind in the middle of winter."

She laughed, turning to look at me, punching my arm playfully. "Are you trying to tell me that you're cold?"

I grinned, pulling her close to me. "Nope, I just want an excuse to hug you."

She laid on my lap, her legs stretched out in front of her. "You don't need any excuse to do that," she answered, gazing into my eyes.

My heart skipped a beat. Just staring into her eyes, just being with her, made it seem like, perhaps, the world wasn't such a bad place after all. Maybe there's a hope that we can find when we are with the ones we love.

She's so at peace, looking almost as if she was in love with life itself. It warmed my heart to see her so bright and excited all the time. It made me wonder what was going on inside her head.

And now that she's just staring at the clouds and the sky above, maybe it's time. It's time for me to do it.

It's now or never.

I leaned down and pressed my lips against hers. She returned the kiss, running her fingers through my hair. I moved my hands to the small of her back, the sweet smell of her perfume wafted into my nose. I could feel her smiling through the kiss and I do the same, closing my eyes and savouring every moment.

"I love you, Lily," I whispered gently between kisses.

Her lips were so soft, like her, soft and sweet. My heartbeat accelerated, beating faster, faster with every passing moment. The kiss was nothing short of passion and so full of love. It's the kind of kiss you'd only read about in fiction. There weren't any fireworks, but it didn't matter. It was a slow, burning fire in our hearts, like a fireplace, warming us. It was magical. I didn't need any fireworks or sparks to know that it's right.