14. masquerade flashback.

Start from the beginning

the person was wearing a mummy costume, hiding everything except for the eyes and mouth, and judging from the physical form, it was a guy. he stood still for a moment before standing beside her and washing his hands.

"i guess having no toilet paper isn't a problem for you." she smiled and raised her eyebrows, well aware of how bad the joke was.

"no, but it'd be quite disgusting if i dried myself with my clothing." he laughed and wiped his hands dry. "you know you're in the men's room, right?"

cassie frowned and looked around her, as if it would reveal a hidden sign. she vocally huh-ed and then shrugged carelessly.

"someone spilled a drink over me. i don't really have time to prioritate whether or not i should go to the bathroom where you're only allowed to enter if you have boobs. or vice verse."

"since i'm a human toilet paper, a hug would probably have solved your problem."

"smooth, imhotep." she snorted and turned to look at him; he didn't seem to catch onto what she meant. "imhotep? the mummy in universal's the mummy movies? the villain?"

"right. haven't seen those."

"oh lord."

matt had never seen the mummy movies, and he definitely had no idea who imhotep was. he just knew that she didn't recognize him — how would she though? so he deepened his voice and tried to momentarily drop the accent.

"sorry." he apologized with a shrug and smiled.

"i don't think many people know this, but the real imhotep was far from a bad guy." she laughed and folded her arms together. "he was actually king djoser's chancellor, architect and a high priest. he designed the pyramid of djoser in saqqara, which is the very first pyramid ever."

"i didn't know that the men's room had turned into a history lesson." he smirked and then cocked his head sideways. "but insteresting. i didn't know that."

"you don't even know who movie imhotep is." she deadpanned and raised her eyebrows.

"true."

"his name means 'he who comes in peace', which is a total opposite to what movie imhotep was like."

"can we continue this conversation somewhere else but in here?" he asked and motioned to the door.

cassie laughed through her nose before nodding and exiting the room. matt followed closely behind and sheepishly smiled when she moved to the stairs instead.

"there's so many people downstairs, hopefully we'll be a bit more... alone here." she mumbled and took in their surroundings. "and i was right."

"why, wanna' make out?" he snorted and she just made a face.

"i'd have to be extremely wasted for that to happen. no offense." she joked with sly eyes and sat down on a couch, taking off the mask.

"none taken." he frowned with his lips as he leaned against the wall with crossed arms, looking at her. "and just to be sure, you're cassie. right?"

"yeah. now tell me who you are." she almost demanded and barely puckered with her lips.

"you said it yourself. i'm imhotep." he teased. she weakly smirked while shaking her head a bit, not so surprised.