Chapter 29 - The Void of Darkness

I awoke to find needles piercing my skin. My eyes took a moment to adjust to my surroundings. White walls, curtains surrounding me, one measly cupboard and a window with the curtain drawn shut. Xavier was curled up on the pull out chair next to the bed. I panicked immediately remembering the events of last night. 'Shh.' a soothing voice whispered to me. My struggling must have woken Xavier up. He was restraining my arms either side of me. My vison focus a little more. Xavier's face was a mix of purple, red, yellow and his naturally tanned skin. I frowned and reached my free hand up to touch his face. He flinched and pulled away, retreating back to his chair. 'What happened?' I spoke although it sounded more like a whisper. My throat was dry and the roof of my mouth had a furry sensation to it. 'He slit your throat and you only just made it through surgery. You've been out for a week now.' I searched his face for a hint of sarcasm within his face but failed to find any. I tried to speak but couldn't find my voice. I cast my eyes to the curtain where a shadow had formed out of nowhere. I recognised that silhouette anywhere. I tried to scream but nothing came out. I started thrashing around in the bed trying to break free of the straps holding me down but it did nothing. Xavier noticed my struggles and turned his head slightly to the area of my focus. He immediately jumped up in front of the bed and stood in a protective stance. The figure emerged from behind the curtain, showing his face. Jack stood there with a ghostly smile plastered on his face that stretched from ear to ear. My breath caught and I forgot how to breathe. He placed his hands behind his back and took painfully slow steps towards us. 'Father Stay away.' He let out a low laugh before snapping his gaze up to meet mine. Any sign of mercy was washed of his face. We were in trouble. 'I do believe that Anne owes me some her life.' My eyes widened in shock and Xavier's body stiffened. 'Bull shit.' I managed to croak before Xavier stepped in holding his head high. His hands were shaking, he was terrified. 'If I remember correctly, you have blood on your hands Anne.' He spat. His eyes flared with anger. My hands searched for the help button by the side of my bed. My trembling fingers closed around it and I pushed it down multiple times praying that a nurse will help. As soon as I let go of the button, three nurses bolted into the room, caught sight of Jack and immediately called for backup and sedation. Jack flashed me an evil grin 'This is not over Anne.' Xavier ran towards Jack but he wasn't fast enough. Jack shoved Xavier back with his fist before forcing his way out of the room followed by loud thuds. I was still frozen with shock until I notice Xavier loose his footing and collapsing in front of me. I rapidly pressed the call button and tried to scream for help but nothing came out but empty air from my lungs. Nurses came rushing in again ready to scold me for pressing the button until they saw Xavier. Tears were now flooding down my face in a steady stream, they burnt my skin leaving red marks down my cheeks. One nurse approached me with a needle, restraining me I felt a small prick in my arm before feeling relaxed. My tears slowed down and my breath became steady I mumbled a few words which the nurse must have understood before I drifted into a void of darkness.

)9E}