Chapter 20 - The maze

Shots rang out all through the store room. I had no way of knowing who was safe and who wasn't. Cold metal touched me arm. I shrieked in shock before Xavier's hand flew to my mouth and his other arm brought my waist closer to him again. Not again. What is with him and my waist? I couldn't see his face through the darkness but I could tell he was listening for any sign of someone hearing me. Past the store room doors, which Xavier had barricaded, shrieks filled the training room followed by yelling and more shots being fired. Xavier's breath became more ragged and deeper as each second passed. 'Stay quiet and follow me. Take off your shoes.' I did as I was told and slid my feet out of my heels. He stooped down and picked them up then grabbed my arm and pulled me behind the blocks we used for combat training. They were still in the last position we used them in, a maze. Ed had crazy ways of making me more alert and one of these ways was sticking me in a maze with other trainees and trainers. I had to fight every one of them before I completed training. The doors rattled violently. We both froze, my arm went stone cold under Xavier's grip. Both of us just stood there like stone statues waiting for that person to go away. Whoever it was, they didn't leave. After a few more rattles, then became more and more violent. Xavier pulled me along after him again after the rattles became harder and louder only this time with more of a purpose, like it was his job to protect me. He pulled out a small knife from his pocket and handed it to me. I took it and turned to the maze wall I was pressed up against. My hands felt along the wall in every direction. They stopped dead in the section of the block that was closest to the ground. I bent down and tore into the block with the knife Xavier gave me. 'Thank you.' I said as I gave a shocked Xavier his knife. 'What are you doing? You can't just crawl in there and hide!' He hissed at me. I smirked through the darkness. 'On the contrary, I think I can.' I proceeded to crawl through the flap I had created and got to the metal safe at the far end of the block. 'Anne get out from there!' I huffed as I pinned in the code for the safe. 'Just one more second...' The safe clicked open. I swung the door of the safe open to reveal a shining silver hand gun. A massive smile crept across my face. 'Thank you Ed!' *Bang* the doors had been kicked in. I hurried out of the little tunnel and stood up with the gun gleaming in my hand. 'Give me a boost.' Xavier looked at me with disbelief written across his face. 'Give me a boost.' I said this time only harsher. There were five men, all in black with sleek black guns. Jack was one of them.