Chapter 9 - Silent Showdown

Just as we had finished our deserts, there was a loud knock on the door. I looked across at Auntie Sonia who returned my look with a shrug. Xavier was looking at his plate in silence like a dog with its tail between his legs. 'I'll get it' I put my napkin on the table next to my plate and slid out of my chair to answer the door. 'Hello. Can I help you?' I stood up straight and tried to sound as mature as I could. The man at the door was tall in a black suit with dark glasses on. He had his hands folded in front of him with a golden watch on his wrist. His head maneuverer around to try and get a better glimpse of our apartment. 'Can I help you?' I said a bit louder. He looked down at me and raised his left hand like he was about to back hand me. 'Wait stop!' Xavier stepped in front of me and took the blow. He fell to the ground clutching his cheek. I looked from Xavier back to the man with disgust before snapping. 'Who do you think you are??' The anger was rising up and getting to me. He gave a half-hearted laugh and shook his head. He took in a deep breath and straightened his shoulders. 'I am Xavier's father.' He looked over to his son who was steadying himself to his feet. Rage filled Xavier's eyes as he breathed in heavily. 'Xavier you are to come with me. Now.' Without waiting for a response from Xavier he grabbed his arm and pulled Xavier along. I started to laugh and shake my head in the same way he did to me. He stopped dead in his tracks and dropped Xavier so that he fell to the floor with a thud. 'I do believe you are not telling me something Anne.' He said with impatience like he had to be somewhere. I looked at him quizzically before replying ' Well. I do believe you owe Xavier an apology for backhanding him.' I stood there with my hand on my hip waiting for him to say something. 'I do not take orders from little girls unlike your Father. He was such a weak link in the agency. It was only a matter of time before he was disposed of permanently.' A grin crept across his face once he saw the reaction I gave him was what he wanted. Anger boiled up inside of me. 'My Father was a great man and a better person than you will ever be.' I choked out before Auntie Sonia gave out a gasp from behind me. She stomped past me like a raging bull, towered over Xavier's Father before she slapped and spat words at him like a shot gun going off again and again. I couldn't make out anything she said to him but from the look in her eyes and the terror shown through his own, there was more going on than she was telling me. Once she had finished with him, she turned on her heels and dragged me back into the apartment before slamming the door shut behind us.