Chapter 12 - Mum's Locket

A few Months later:

'Knock Knock.' Francess poked her head in my room. I turned around and bolted for her 'Francess!!!' She opened her arms as I ran into her. She hugged me tight before letting ago. 'Okay I'm here to see you and your beauty in that dress.' I nodded eagerly as I slipped into the dress. It was a short light aqua dress with straps that crossed over my chest and tied around my neck with an aquamarine broche holding the fabric together to the right of my neck. I slipped on a pair of silver heels with a buckle just above my ankles. Francess gasped 'Ohhh. You look great!' She walked over to me and fiddled with my hair putting it up and down to the left and right. She stood back and took both of my hands and pulled them out in front of me. 'I know just what to do for your gr...' She let go of my left hand and covered her mouth. 'Francess...' I gave her a knowing look as if to say I'm graduating aren't I? As if to read my exact thoughts she nodded with pursed lips. I bit my lip while grinning. 'Anyway,' Francess started, ' I know exactly what to do with your hair, makeup and jewellery.' She stood there for a bit longer before rummaging through her oversized handbag. She pulled out a DVD and an envelope addressed to me. 'Quickly change and come out to the lounge room.' I nodded as she left the room.

I emerged from my bed room and entered the living room to find Auntie Sonia and Francess sitting waiting for me with the T.V remote poised ready to press play. Auntie Sonia patted the area of couch in between them both encouraging me to sit there. I plonked down on the couch in between them both as Francess pressed play. My Dad's face popped up on screen. My hands flew to my mouth and I pushed the urge to cry away. 'Hi Sweetheart.' I couldn't hold my tears back anymore and let them run freely down my cheeks. 'If you are watching this, it means I am no longer there to look after you, and however it happened, I want you to know first off that I love you so much, and I never intended this to happen. I guess you are going to the academy dance tonight so I'll make this quick so you can get ready.' I started to sob as tears filled his own eyes. Auntie Sonia reached over and squeezed my hand. 'I planned all of this for you after both of us being gone and you have so much potential. Francess has something that belonged to your Mother that I want you to have.' Francess passed me a little black box. I opened it and saw a locket inside. I turned it over in my hands as Dad continued to talk. 'The locket has photos in there of us, your Mother and I. Even though you never knew your Mother, she always loved you for the few precious moments after you were born. You look just like her.' His smile was soft and his eyes were now red. 'I know this may not be much of a message for you but it is time for you to know everything that happened including Sonia's part, But not now, you have a dance to get to. My old colleague's son will be at your door to pick you up in a few hours so you better get ready. I love you sweet heart and don't ever think differently.' He blew me a kiss and then he was gone. Francess led me to my room, still in tears, to get ready.