Chapter 36 - Permission

Jonathan POV

I watched Andrew and Renee Dad looking after Bethany and Victor, the nauseas feeling coming back to my stomach, feeling nervous. Renee was out at the moment with Denise and Daryl. So this was the perfect timing.

"Something you need boy?" Renee father asked seeing me standing there quietly, I scratched the back of my neck. "Uh yeah there is. It's just..."

I was about to chicken out when I stared at my daughter and smiled. I wanted to this. I love her! "I've come to get permission into marrying your daughter" I spoke out. Andrew eyes widened as I saw Renee Dad smile.

He stood up and stuck his hand out. "Welcome to the family son" I shook his hand. "Thank you sir" "Please call me Lawrence"

Now that was off my chest. It was now planning on popping the question out to her.

Well... that was easy than I thought.

Renee POV

After burying Denise I slowly made it back to the house to break the news to Andrew. As I opened the door I was greeted by the guys. Dad, Jon and Andrew. Vic ran up and hugged me making me smile.

"Get everything you need?" I nodded. "How was Denise?" "She was fine. Killed one walker" Andrew smiled proudly at that. Here it comes.

"But.." my smile dropped. "I'm so sorry. She was just ranting and the next thing you know there's an arrow in her head coming out of her eye.."

Andrew slowly stood up

Andrew slowly stood up. "W-what?" "This guy Dwight shot Denise with Daryl crossbow. I'm sorry Andrew she's dead and we just buried her.." he ran out the house probably to hope that I was lying.

Jon ran to me checking for injuries. "You okay? He didn't do anything right?" I shook my head no. He pulled me into a hug as I hugged back tighter.

.....

That night our group got together in front of the fire like the good old days as Rick went over the plan about this Negan guy. Andrew was sat emotionless.

I took his hand as he didn't budge nor look at me. We were sat on the porch. "If I have to sing again then I will" Andrew stared at me confused before he smiled. "You haven't sang in forever..." "I'll do it this once" I smiled grabbing the guitar laying next to me
I started strumming it as he smiled lightly. I would do this to cheer him up.

After I finished strumming. I saw a huge smile finally break out on to his face as he hugged me burying his face into my neck. The group looked over watching. Rick smiled lightly. "Thank you" Andrew mumbled against my neck.

Daryl was staring as me. He finally looked away looking down. I looked down. Andrew broke away heading in to the house. Someone took his place.

It was Jon. I couldn't hold back the tears and crawled into his lap and cried into his chest. He held me tightly letting me let it all out.

....

I was sat on the swing porch swinging back and forwards gently. Daryl sat beside me. "You should be sleeping" I said with no emotion looking forwards still.

I can feel his eyes still on me. "Yeah" he looked away looking down before looking up. "She's right" I looked at him. He looked back at me.

"We are strong people. And if we want to be even stronger then we need to teach 'em to protect themselves. It would be what she wants."

I held back my tears. Stupid hormones. I looked back to Daryl. He was looking down playing with his fingers. "Ya know when you sang to your brother it brought back to the night Beth sang at the prison for the first time hearing her beautiful voice and then at the house too" he looked at me.

"I miss her" "Yeah.. same" "What do you think she'll be saying to us right now?" "Calling us both stupid. To stop moping around and get off our arses to do somethin' Maybe be mad at us for sleepin' with each other..."

It fell silent.

"When you asked if the guy did anything. He hit me and.." I lowered my tank top seeing the finger marks around my breast. He looked at them before looking away.

He got up and picked my guitar up sitting back dowm. He passed it to me. "Sing it again" I took it. "Thought hearing anyone sing annoys you more now?" "Not when it's from you." He looked at me as we stared into each other eyes.

I smiled lightly taking it and started strumming. "Merrily we fall out of line out of line. I'd fall anywhere with you I'm by your side. Swinging in the rain humming melodies. We're not going anywhere until we freeze. I'm not afraid anymore.. I'm not afraid.."

Daryl watched intensely as I finished setting it down. I leaned my head on the shoulder as he wrapped his arm around me. I slowly closed my eyes drifting off into a peaceful sleep.