Chapter XXI | Smitten

Start from the beginning

"It means attractive. It's slang," Regina explained.

"You know, it's a shame Henry's missing out on bacon and eggs," Ben said out of the blue.

"Oh well, he's probably running around on a sugar high because Emma gave him Pop Tarts for breakfast," Regina said.

They all laughed as Regina placed the bacon strips on the skillet and thought about a sugar-crazed 11 year-old boy. In fact, the tribe or the king didn't even cross their minds, they were just enjoying their morning in peace. Regina finally felt happy for once.

September
(Two Months Later)

The Diner

Henry sat up at the bar, drinking his soda while reading the latest The Avengers comic. Emma had dropped him off so she could go back to work at the station. Then Regina walked, having an anxious look about her. She noticed her son and walked up to him, sitting down next to him.

"Hi, mom!" He acknowledged. "Are you okay? You look kinda nervous," he stated, putting down his comic book.

"Yeah, it's just...that Ben asked me out," she admitted while fidgeting with her fingers.

"But you guys are together? Isn't that what couples do? They go on dates," he said.

"Yes, but I've never been on a date and he's never been on a date and I'm worried that something will get messed up and-"

"Mom, slow down! You'll be fine. I mean, I'm 11 and I know nothing about dating, but I would think it's important to be yourself and just stay calm."

"Man, I guess hope speeches is really integrated in your genes," she teased with sarcasm.

"So when's the date?"

"Tonight. Do you mind if you stay another night at the loft?"

"No, I'll be fine. Oh gotta go grandma picks me up outside in a few minutes," he said as he gathered his comics. He kissed Regina on the cheek before waving goodbye.

She smiled as love filled her heart again. Until Red snapped her out of her thoughts. "So I heard you're going out with Ben?"

"How did you-"

"It's a wolf thing. Anyways...I'm happy for you...um," she said awkwardly.

"Just call me Regina and thank you. It's nice to have someone there in a big bed. I got cold sometimes."

Red chuckled as Regina pulled out her phone, realizing she had gotten a text. Red could see Regina's face light up with a large smile as her fingers attacked the screen with words. "You are so smitten."

"I am not. I'm just in love."

"That's what smitten means."

"Oh shut it, Wolfie."

"What'd Ben say?"

""Cannot wait for our date tonight, my love. And I figured out the "emoticon" things, so here's a heart: ❤️. Much love. -Ben""

"That is adorable!"

"I'm leaving before things get too cutesy."

...

The Office

   Ben nervously took the wheel as Regina told him what to do.  At least she had magic to stop the car if he really couldn't control it, but she told him to go slow.  They arrived at town hall and a nervous Ben got out of the prizes car, opening Regina door for her.  He offered his arm to her and she linked hers as they walked to the entrance. 

~•~

   Ben was already dressed up a little more.  He was dressed in some nice dress pants, a button down shirt with a tie under a cashmere sweater.  He awaited as Regina was changing into her "date" clothes.  She came out of the bathroom with a nice red dress, hugging her curves tightly, no cleavage, paired with a simple gold necklace.  He stared at her in awe and disbelief. 

   "Regina, you look...," he struggled.  "I'm speechless honestly."

   She broke into a fit of laughter as she tried not to blush anymore.  "Well I have to say you look dashing," she complimented as he pulled her into a kiss. 

   She brought out the wine and poured two glasses as Ben seated himself next to the couch.  She sat down closely next to him as he stared into her eyes.  She then lit the fireplace with a fireball, slightly scaring Ben.  "Sorry."

   "It's alright.  Quite a little show actually," he teased and she started giggling which he found absolutely adorable.  "Ah, I love that laugh.  It's-it's...for one thing it's cute and it's contagious," he said as he took a sip of wine. 

   "Stop it you're making me blush constantly!" She said as he just smiled at her.  They both awkwardly hesitated for a second before she spoke up, holding her wine glass up.  "A toast--to our lives finally being normal for once," she said and he raised his glass.

   "Indeed and filled with happiness," he added and they clinked their glasses before sipping the wonderful drink. 

   He just kept staring at her, like he was trying to figure something out.  "What?"

   "I just realized that...even though my life goal has been to meet my mother--which it still is--I know that you're a major part of my happy ending, Regina.  I'm so deeply in love with you," he said in almost a whisper, bringing happy tears to her eyes. 

   "I hope you get to meet your mother one day.  I know she's passed on, but maybe one day when you're an old man and died hopefully of old age and nothing painful, you can meet her.  My happy ending is have a family who I love and they love me back and just feeling at home in the world.  You're a part of my family, Ben, because I am so deeply in love with you," she emphasized.  "I never thought I would ever have someone like you in my life and it felt impossible.  Thank you for being here," she said as he wiped her tears away. 

   "It's my pleasure, love.  It's all for you," he whispered as he pressed his lips against hers. 

   They continued to talk about random events in their lives, nothing major.  Ben didn't want to bring his history with Beatrice and Regina didn't have the strength quite yet to tell him about the lion-tattoo thing.  Their was still much to be discovered and maybe it would be.  All they knew was that they cared so strongly for each other, that they had each other's back no matter the situation. 

To be continued...

This was suppose to be up last night, but I was really tired and fell asleep.  Sorry ☹️.  Hoped you like Ben and Regina on a date.  Inspiration was from the OutlawQueen date. 

   So does that mean Ben is like Robin?  Will Ben end up sacrificing himself for Regina?  Who knows???