Chapter Thirty Seven

Chester turned to Rob, showing him a 360 degree of his outfit. Rob scratched his chin, deep in thought. He directed Chester to turn to the left and stop there with his hands. He came up to him and took off his jacket, before stepping back. He hummed, before slipping it back on him. He made him face him to the front and took off Chester's glasses. Chester started blinking, unable to see anything. Rob stood back again. 

"I've never even worn these glasses, Rob. I always wear contacts. I can't see at all," Chester said, searching for his glasses by using the furniture. He tripped over the end of the bed and managed to crash down to the ground. He squeaked in pain as it shot through his broken arm. He rose, stiff as can be. Rob put his glasses back on him as if he had taken something from an exhibit that he wasn't supposed to touch at all.

"Uhh..." Rob tried to figure out what to do as Chester grasped his broken arm, gritting his teeth, and going into the bathroom connected to the room. "While you're in there, put your contacts in. Probably don't want you losing your glasses on the date."

"Okay," Chester breathed through his teeth and grabbed his bottle of pain medication. He had just taken some when he was supposed to this morning, but the pain was unbearable. He thought he may have broken his arm further and took another dose of his medication. He sighed and began taking off his glasses again and getting his contacts in. He brought his medication with him into the room when thy heard a knock at the door.

~

Mike breathed into his hand and smelt it, pulling a face. He shrugged and grabbed his packet of mint gum from his back pocket and took out a piece. He opened the wrapper and stuck the gum in his mouth, chewing it. He repeated his breath test and nodded his head. He crumpled the wrapper in his hand and saw Phoenix coming into his room. He flung the wrapper at him, hitting him right in the nose.

"Well, hello to you too," Phoenix scowled. The entire house already heard about the date due to some hardcore gossip sessions between Toby and Talinda over the night. Everyone was thrilled, but Phoenix wanted to have a word with Mike before the date commenced.

"How do I look?" Mike asked, spinning slowly. Phoenix gave him a light smile, remembering this was how Mike used to act before everything happened when he was going on a date with someone he really liked. 

"Great. Look, I wanted to talk to you before you and Chaz leave," Phoenix sighed and Mike sat down on his bed. 

"Fire away."

"Okay, well, I just wanted to remind you that you need to be careful with Chester. Toby told me that Talinda was telling her about how freaked out Chaz was when you yelled at him at the hospital. He's in a fragile state, Mike. He's been through so much. All he knows is getting yelled at, I don't want him to readjust to that type of lifestyle. I want him comfortable around people - mainly, us," Phoenix looked to the ground as if he felt he was going to offend Mike by warning him. 

"It'll be fine, Phi. I won't yell at him, but I do have something to talk to you about," Mike added, something that was bothering him coming to mind. Phoenix nodded. "You need to stop worrying so much about Chester, you're not his protecter; stop caring about him so much. The more you worry about him, the more it'll hurt you."

"You sound like Steve," Phoenix noted aloud before realizing what he was saying. Mike hated the comment, but didn't want to ruin the day he was about to have with Chester. He also didn't want to be in a bad mood - afraid he would end up yelling at Chester. 

"I'm just speaking from experience," Mike let the thought go, a chill running down his spine as he continued to think about that.

"I'll try to," Phoenix promised and checked his watch. "It's noon."

"Okay, well, I'm going to see if Chester's ready. I'll see you later. I'm sorry things have been pretty godawful between us."

"I am too," Phoenix sighed, but gave him a supportive smile. "We'll talk some more later - hopefully about better subjects."

"Yeah," Mike grinned back and took another look in the mirror. His face scrunched together. "Are you sure I look alright?"

~

Chester opened the door to see Mike smiling, holding a simple red rose. He giggled a little, taking it and thanking him. He looked Mike up and down and bit his lip, seeing Mike do the same towards him. He felt his cheeks heating up and thought it was somewhat awkward - especially with Rob still in the room. 

"I'll be... elsewhere," Rob smirked and slid out as Mike entered. Mike hugged Chester and kissed his cheek. Chester sat the rose down on a dresser nearby. 

"I know it's kinda cheesy, but this whole day is going to be," Mike warned with a smile and Chester went in for another hug. Mike felt up his back, his hand slowly running a little too far down. "But you look so great that I don't even want to leave."

"Bad, Mikey," Chester jokingly slapped his hand away from his back and pulled away. "I'm excited."

"Me too," Mike admitted and snuck his hands towards his back pocket. One contained his wallet, the other was the one he was feeling. He stuck his hand in and felt the small, velvet box. He gave Chester a small smile and removed his hand from his own pocket. "Are you ready to go?"

"I'm always ready to go anywhere with you," Chester flirted and Mike chuckled.

"I see the cheesiness has already started."

"Oh, we're far beyond it starting after you gave me that rose."

"You happen to be correct, Mr. Bennington."

"I happen to always be correct, Mr. Shinoda."

"Shall we?" Mike grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze, leading him towards the door.

"We shall."