Chapter Six

Chester's eyes strained to open, his body feeling heavy. He was lying on the couch, facing the entry door. He shivered, remembering he was still at his uncle Roy's house. The front door started opening and a familiar figure stepped in.

"Toby," Chester croaked, his voice not working properly. His half sister's eyes widened and she rushed to Chester's side. They hadn't seen each other in years.

"Chester! What are you doing here?! Are you okay? Did Roy hurt you?" She asked instantly and Chester just hugged her. He was so glad to see a familiar, friendly face. It felt like Mike was the only kind character in Chester's life. "Chaz, answer me. Please."

"Y-yes." Chester stuttered and Toby sighed heavily and hugged her younger half brother back. They weren't far apart in years but Toby always felt older anyway.

"I missed you." She said in a shaky voice and sat Chester up, who yelped when moving upright. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just sore." Chester waved off her concern and settled on the couch. Toby sat next to him.

"It was rough?" Toby asked, wanting to know everything about why her half brother was here but didn't wish to push it.

"Don't know, he knocked me unconscious. It sure as hell feels like it was rough." Chester sighed and his sister set a hand on his knee.

"I should've came earlier." Toby said beneath her breath and Chester's head snapped towards her.

"You couldn't have known, don't you dare blame yourself."

"Where is he?" She changed the subject and Chester looked around the area, realizing he hadn't seen him since before he was knocked unconscious.

"I don't know."

"Probably out to find me." She spat and moved her hand away from Chester, resting her face in her hands. "Why did he knock you out?"

"He didn't want me yelling back to my friend." Chester looked down, recalling the event. He knew Mike wasn't there anymore. He couldn't be, it must've been hours later.

"Friend?"

"Yeah, his name is Mike. I told him about Roy and he stayed for a while. I don't know when he left." Chester sighed deeply, wishing he could apologize to Mike for everything.

"Oh." Toby said tonelessly. "Why did you come here, Ches?"

"My dad."

"Why?" She asked again, wanting more of an answer. Chester looked down and rolled up his sleeves. She gasped. "Chester! What happened?!"

"My dad." He repeated and ran a hand over the series of bruises coating his arms.

"W-where's your mom? We need to tell her." She said quickly and Chester just shook his head.

"Can't." He slumped backwards and put the sleeves back around his wrists securely.

"Chaz..." Toby said, clearly speechless.

"Toby, I have a question."

"What is it?" She asked, instantly curious.

"Has Roy molested you recently?" He looked at her darkly and she tore her own gaze away and turned to look at the ground.

"He never did, Chester." She paused. "But someone else has."

"What?! What do you mean? Who? And what about that day when I started kindergarten?" He asked quickly and she sighed once again.

"He said some scary stuff about what he was going to do to you when he was giving me my bath but he never molested me." She confirmed and Chester's eyes teared up.