Chapter Thirty

Mike went up to Chester's door after watching Phoenix leave. He stood behind it, unsure if he truly wanted to knock. He began to be afraid of making things worse, but pushed passed his troubled thoughts. He softly tapped on the door and entered, not waiting for his allowance. He knew Steve had left a while ago, so he was sure Chester would be more comfortable.

Right upon entering, he was struck with big, brown eyes. Everything suddenly dawned on him as he saw the haunted look he saw when he first met him, back within Chester. It reminded him that he was a human, even an animal didn't deserve the treatment Mike was giving him, but he was human, making it all the more unsettling. 

He straightened his back out, trying to make himself feel as confident as he looked, when in reality he was overly nervous. He felt as though he was shook repeatedly until everything bad he thought about Chester spilled out of his brain. In a way, it felt like a blast from the past - as every emotion he's felt towards Chester came crawling back all at once. It took him back a bit, causing him to shiver slightly, but he regained his stiff posture.

"May I come in?" He asked softly, afraid a tone too loud could break the already disrupted boy in front of him. Chester silently nodded, gesturing Mike to take a seat on the other side of the room from where he was sitting - on the bed.

Chester knew he should have said no to Mike for several different reasons. Mike had hurt him, ignored and pushed him away, he wasn't sure if he could forgive that. He had a feeling this talk would repair things, but he knew that he shouldn't forgive him as easily as he usually does towards others. He wasn't even supposed to be talking to anyone in the home, a rule created by Steve. He especially couldn't be seen talking to Mike. 

Steve wanted to separate the two, they were worthless to him when together, and Chester was aware of that. He knew Steve was just another Scott, but in a way worse. He was caught completely off guard by him, while he had time to adjust to Scott's ways because of Mike, he was unprepared for what was going to be held for him. With Scott, it was a thing he's done before over and over again, to which Chester witnessed firsthand, but Steve was a new situation, he didn't know what his intentions with him were. So far, it had only been pain. Brutal, violent, pain.

"What is it?" Chester decided to speak up, disturbed by the silence that followed Mike into the room. With a heavy sigh, Mike threw a hand into his hair and brushed through it. Chester found it unbelievably attractive, but resisted his love towards Mike.

"Can we talk?" He asked and Chester shrugged.

"About what?" Chester countered, knowing very well the answer to his question. He was tired of his friends stepping around the subject, not wanting to confront it face-to-face. 

"The thing, you know? With Scott? What happened?" He asked and Chester bit his lip. Mike wished in that moment that he could lean forward and capture his lips with his, but knew he couldn't. Things weren't there yet, and for all he knew, might never reach that level again. 

"After Rob and Toby got married, I went back to throw away some cake. I did and was stopped by Scott. He gave me his number just before you showed up to get your jacket. I still thought of him as my idol so I rang him and he put together for us to meet that night. I went and he took me. He beat me - only to get back at you - but eventually thought you weren't suffering enough and brought my uncle into the picture," Chester explained, leaving out details as to give the short version of the story. "I woke up one day and he was gone, but Steve was there. Here I am."

"Why did he leave?" Mike raised his eyebrows, confused as to how Scott could just pick up his things and walk away from a seemingly great situation on his end. 

"It's complicated and not important," Chester steered away from the truth and looked down to his feet. Mike wanted to lift his chin, peer into those deep, brown eyes, but refrained. He was afraid to cross any lines Chester may have set for himself.