Chapter Thirty One

Chester heard the car honk in the driveway. He smiled softly to himself and straightened out his shirt as he rose off the bed. He didn't dress too flashy, black skinny jeans and a long, white shirt with some red-orange design on it. He accompanied his outfit with a few necklaces that varied in length, a black jacket, and boots. He slipped in his gauges as well, figuring he'd look good with them in.

Without more thought, he slipped his phone and wallet into his back pocket. He left the room, skirting down the stairs. He heard Ryan honk again, to which he rolled his eyes at for being impatient. He went into the den, figuring Mike wouldn't tell the others he was off on a date tonight. He saw everyone, other than Steve, gathered in the room, watching some horror film. He felt his heart sink into his stomach a little, realizing he wasn't invited to watch the movie - probably because Mike would refuse to spend time with the others if he was there. 

He cleared his throat, but failed to capture their attention. Normally, he would've shrugged his shoulders and skipped off to his date, but he was determined not to be as stupid as he was when Scott took him. He didn't want to leave without giving everyone a clear idea of what was happening, to ensure he wouldn't get hurt again. Clearing his throat again, Phoenix finally noticed him. Chester directed him to follow, and Phoenix nodded. The two headed into the kitchen.

"What's up?" He asked, not bothered at all by the interruption. He was just as concerned for Chester's safety as he, himself, was. 

"I'm going on a date, right now actually. I just wanted someone to know, in case something happens. I don't know him too well, his name is Ryan Shuck. He has dark brown hair, greenish, blue eyes. He's pretty pale. Oh, and he's an aries," Chester added and Phoenix let out a chuckle.

"He's an aries? I thought you didn't know him well."

"I... Okay, I mean, I guess I do. He was in that band Scott was forcing together... Oh, I didn't tell you about that..."

"You haven't told anyone much of anything," Phoenix reminded him and he nodded.

"I know, I'm sorry. It's just... complicated. Anyway, we're going out for dinner and a movie," He explained and Phoenix nodded. 

"Thank you for telling me all this, I'd totally beat myself up if something happened to you and I couldn't stop it. But, I have to ask, does Mike know?" 

"Yeah," He sighed, running a hand through his hair. He was about to admit to Phoenix how much he missed Mike, but the car honked again. "I gotta go, I'll see you later."

"Alright. Stay safe, Chaz."

"I'll try," Chester said with a half smile, thinking about how easy it is for him to get hurt. He left, walking back through the den, seeing Mike scowl at him. He frowned profoundly, but it didn't have any effect on Mike.

He left the house, still feeling sad about not being invited to watch the movie with them - he considered them family after all. Even Toby was his actual family and hadn't said a word, nor Rob, his now half-brother-in-law. He smiled at Ryan, who had a big grin on at the sight of Chester. He climbed into the passenger's seat, noticing Ryan hadn't torn his eyes away from him.

"You look great," He smiled and Chester thanked him softly, thoughts of Mike still in the back of his mind. He was unsure how he could enjoy his date when all he could think about was how Mike used to love him.

~

Mike watched Chester leave, before exiting the room himself. He went to his room, where he had a clear view of the driveway. He just made it to when Chester entered the car, he noticed Ryan wasn't taking his eyes off Chester. His eyes furrowed together in anger, but tried to tone it down.