Chapter Thirty Two

"Drive," Chester demanded, gesturing toward's Ryan's steering wheel. He heard all he needed to from Mike and was ready to confront it once and for all. He had hung up after Mike apologized and was now staring intensely at his date. 

Ryan's engine purred as he brought it back to life. He slid the stick into drive and sped as fast as he could, ignoring speed limits. He wanted Chester to receive the closure he so clearly deserved after Mike dragged him through this muck.

"Are you sure about this?" Ryan asked him as they neared the house, being able to see it's lights on. He wanted this for Chester, but at the same time was worried this would make things worse for him.

"I'm sure," Chester confirmed and they entered the driveway. Ryan didn't even park the car when Chester bolted out of the door and into the house.

Everyone - besides Mike, and still Steve - was still in the den and eyed him in shock by his sudden entry. Phoenix tried to ask if something happened between him and Ryan, but Chester headed upstairs. Mike had said he found his number on Steve's nightstand, so Chester figured he was in their room. He stormed up there and threw the door open.

He saw Mike on the bed, his eyes red and glancing at him questioningly. For the first time in so long, Chester didn't see rage behind his eyes towards him and felt himself melting more towards the decision he made while they were driving here. He bit his lip, stepping towards Mike quickly.

Without any hesitation, he slammed his lips against his, draping his arms over his shoulders. Mike reacted instantly and put his hands on his waist, his palms directly over his hip bones, fingers digging into his sides and tugging him closer. The two kissed passionately, suddenly hugging into it, their hands and arms shifting. The kiss broke and Chester buried his face in between Mike's shoulder and neck, tears silently pouring out of his eyes as he remembered how much he missed being in his arms. Mike ran a soothing hand down his back.

"I'm so sorry, Chester. I never meant any of the things I said," Mike said softly, just as the others reached the doorframe to see the two wrapped in each other's arms. Mike had squeezed his eyes shut - not seeing his friends invading their space that they were occupying for their moment. 

Chester didn't reply, knowing he had forgiven him the moment he apologized through that last phone call. It was all he needed, he could hear the sincerity in his voice and by the outcome of jumping Mike, he proved to himself that he was right. He wasn't just saying things to bring him back - he meant it.

"I've treated you so horribly, Chaz, and I don't even know where to begin to even explain myself. I just... When you were with Scott, I was hurting so much. It was the worst pain I've ever been through and I truly felt as though someone was slowly killing me - it was agonizing. Whenever I'd try to sleep, I'd just hear your screams. I imagined they'd be like the ones I heard from you back in Arizona when your uncle grabbed you. I felt just as helpless as I did then. I had to stop caring about you to stop hurting - and to at least lessen your pain. I'm so sorry. I guess I've just been afraid of feeling that pain again. If anything were to happen to you again, I'd-"

"Mike, calm down," Chester interrupted him softly, leaning into him as far as he could. "We've had our ups and downs, but at the end of the day, we'll always end up together. I love you, Mike. I never stopped, never."

"I love you too, Chester. I seriously do. I regret everything I did. It was so stupid of me to push you away. I should have dealt with the pain and kept loving you regardless," Mike sighed, taking in Chester's scent. He was overwhelmed with love and happiness, though Chester was too, he was also worried. He didn't notice his friends who were watching and also didn't see them leave the room. 

Chester knew if he wanted to be with Mike, he had to open up a bit about his current situation. He couldn't let Steve know that they made up and are back together. He was worried about how he'd react, but was sure he could convince Mike that he had everything under control - though he truly did not. 

"Mike, I need to talk to you about something," Chester pulled away from him, searching his eyes for pure attention. He needed Mike to listen and understand - something he used to be great at doing, Chester just hoped he still was after their fight.

"Anything," Mike said seriously, noting the lack of playfulness in Chester's voice. 

"But you can't interrupt me, okay? I know you'll try to, but I need to explain," Chester stressed and Mike nodded, showing he promised he wouldn't intervene until Chester was finished. "Okay, well, I have a problem right now - a pretty big one. Steve said when he found me that Scott had runaway... That he left, leaving him to take his place. He... He hurt me... I don't want to talk about that though, it doesn't matter. Just... He doesn't want us together. He'll probably kill me if he finds out. He's worse than Scott, I-I'm just scared, okay? I'm sorry, Mikey."

"Ches, it's okay. We'll sort through this. We'll sort through it together, does that sound alright? I won't do anything you don't want me to. I won't confront him or... hurt him unless you want me to," Mike promised. If they hadn't just gotten over their huge fight, Mike would have hunted Steve down and make him pay for whatever he did to Chester, but Mike knew he still needed to regain the trust he lost from Chester. 

"Than you, Mike. I'm sorry things aren't easier," Chester frowned and Mike kissed his lips softly, careful not to be rough with the skinnier boy. He hugged him again, just firm enough to bring Chester comfort and warmth.

"It'll get easier though, okay? I promise you, Chazzy. You're going to have to talk to me more about everything that's happened to you, but I won't pry. We'll get to that later. Whenever Steve's here, I'll leave you alone... I don't want to, but I will. I don't want you getting hurt again because of me. I love you, Chaz."

"I love you too, Mikey."