Chapter Twelve

Little Chester snuggled into the blanket, a small smile pressing into his lips. He felt safe here, curled up in his mother's lap, the blanket wrapped tightly around him. The warmth and security was all he needed.

He smiled more broadly when he heard his mother singing softly. This is what made him want to sing. The soft melody, triggering relaxing vibes throughout the small boy made his eyes close and vocals to sound. He hummed with his mom, knowing the song by heart.

He pushed away the blanket underneath him to be closer to his mom. He squirmed to get comfortable on her boney body. He noticed, even at that young age, that she lost body weight. Her song was interrupted by her coughing. She took a hand off her son and coughed into her hand. She pulled away to see and taste blood. She called for Chester's father, who ran over and picked Chester up and set him on the ground. He checked out his wife before calling an ambulance.

That was the last time Chester saw his mother. She was diagnosed with cancer and passed away within three weeks. Chester's dad wouldn't allow him to see his mother during that time. He wasn't even allowed to show at the funeral. His dad asked Chester's uncle, Roy, if he could watch the boy during the funeral day. That was the first time the two ever met and Roy made a great first impression on the boy.

He had bought Chester a present, showered him in comforting words, and didn't do anything to make the boy uncomfortable. He even rented some movies for him to watch and turned on the thermos, which was something Chester's dad was very strict about. Chester felt extremely comfortable around his uncle but it would soon change.

~

"Hey, Chazzy. Can you stay after?" Mike immediately asked the smaller boy, snapping him out of his thoughts, when they approached each other. Chester nodded. "That's great!"

"Yeah." Chester said, just over a whisper. Mike instantly could tell something was up.

"What's wrong?" He asked and Chester shrugged.

"It's nothing." Chester replied. Mike thought this was Chester's motto because of how often he says it.

"Every time you say it's nothing, it ends up being something." Mike groaned and Chester sighed deeply.

"I have to stay the night at Roy's." Chester informed Mike who didn't know how to react. He knew he couldn't help Chester through this.

"I'm so sorry, Ches." Mike said when he couldn't find anything else better to say.

"At least I get to spend more time with my Mikey." Chester smiled and Mike hugged the smaller boy and quickly let go once he heard Mr. Aoki enter the room. Mike quickly skidded into his seat and Chester sat down.

"Good morning, Mike and Chester. How are you boys doing?" Mr. Aoki asked the pair, staring at them oddly. He thought it strange that they weren't by each other.

"Fine." Mike replied.

"Okay." Chester said softly, looking down at the table in front of him.

"Good to hear." Mr. Aoki simply said and sat down at his desk. He opened up an email from Scott.

'Steve,
Mike said him and Chester have gotten into an argument or some shit and are no longer friends. Please monitor them and tell me if you believe the boy is lying.
Best regards,
Scott'

Mr. Aoki started replying almost immediately after reading.

'Scott,
From the looks of it, the boys aren't talking. I'd say Mike is telling the truth. By the way, remember the other day when you said if I helped get Chester to you, you'd let me out of this thing completely? I'd like to know if the offer is still available.
Cheers,
Steve'

Break Freeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें