c h a p t e r 1 1 : c a l m

Start from the beginning

But then again, I've never been able to do anything right. Everything I do always turns out wrong, or go wrong eventually, and it always ends up hurting the people around me, the people I love. And I don't think anyone will be able to understand me either. They'll never know how it feels like to be in the shadows.

I'll always be alone.

"Let's go, kiddo," Basil exclaims as he enters the kitchen, a backpack across his shoulder.

"Why, kiddo?" I ask, getting to my feet and grabbing my own obnoxiously bright coloured backpack.

I wish I brought my black and grey one but, in my haste to get into the car the morning we were travelling, I grabbed the wrong backpack so I'n stuck with this one.

"You're asking a lot of questions today," he replies lightly, chuckling. "And why not, kiddo?"

I shrug.

He walks out the door and I follow suit. He goes down the pavement and take a right turn and I just let him lead me to wherever it is he's taking me, allowing my mind to drift off, as it always does.

I wonder what Basil has in store today. And I'm weirdly excited— I'm not sure why — to spend more time with him, but I know I've got to stop soon, before I'm in too deep.

Basil is a good person.

He doesn't deserve to be dragged down with me.

I bump into Basil, effectively snapping me back into reality. "What's going on?" I ask, slightly dazed.

He chuckles. "You're daydreaming again, aren't you kiddo?"

"Am not," I reply, suddenly defensive.

"Don't need to deny it. I can see it in your eyes." He laughs at me again and messes up my hair.

"Hey!" I exclaim, smoothening my hair, combing through it with my fingers.

He shrugs nonchalantly, the corners of his eyes crinkling as he smiles. "Anyway, kiddo," he continues, emphasising the last word," we're here."

"Here, where?" I blurt.

He gestures towards our right and my eyes follow his hands. A huge yacht sits on the majestic blue waters beside the pier, basking in all it's glory. The pristine white sails tower way above us, billowing in the wind, held in place by the mast. The wooden floor of the deck is spotless, and there are two chairs on the bow of the ship.

"Is that yours?" I ask, in awe of the boat.

"What? No. I'm not that rich," Basil responds lightly. "I rented it."

"That's still quite cool though."

"I know right." He walks ahead, towards the jetty that leads to the ship. "Are you coming of not?"

I jog to catch up with Basil, still admiring the ship. I may not have a fascination with boats per se but this yacht is really elegant and beautiful. It'd take a fool not to admire it. Basil climbs aboard the boat and extends his hand. I grab it and he helps me onto the boat. The moment I step on the deck, I can feel the waves rocking the boat and I nearly topple over. Thankfully, Basil is there to catch me before I fall.

"Careful."

I look up and find myself staring straight into his chocolate brown eyes, glinting with joy and excitement and my heart skips a beat.

"Anyway," he says, breaking eye contact first, clearing his throat, sounding slightly distracted," Shall we get a move on?"

S-Sure," I stammer, going to the other side of the deck and staring out into the vast, blue sea, my hands shaking slightly from anxiety.