Chapter 16

Skylar's POV

As we head inside, my phone starts buzzing. I check to see who it is, but it's unknown; I answer it anyways. "Hello?" "Skylar? Oh, my baby, I've missed you!" A man's voice speaks. "Wh-who is this?" I stop walking. "You can't tell by the voice?! It's me, Jake! Remember, from Pennsylvania?" My heart beats fast and I turn into the closest room, sitting down on the floor. "Why are you calling me?! I could have you arrested for this!" I whisper yell into the phone. "What, baby?! For having a little fun? Anyways, my restraining order was up last month! I am a free man!" He chuckles into the phone and I reimagine his smug face as he pulls my face towards his. I look up and see Kian at the doorway. "Who is that? Are you cheating on me?" He jokes, and I shake my head while on the verge of tears. He sits down beside me on the floor. "Who is that? Is that the person you're with now down in California?! Lemme talk to him!" Jake yells in my ear. I gain the courage to yell back. "No! You're crazy and you need to be locked up!" My voice shakes and cracks. "Oh, baby! Don't cry, you know it makes me sad when you do that!" Kian looks at me and sees the tears falling down. He sticks his hand out. "Let me talk to him." He says in a calm voice and with a shaky hand, I give the phone to him. "Listen here you little psycho. I don't know who you are, but Skylar doesn't seem to like you, so I suggest you hang up now and never call again." He says this in the calmest voice he can, but I can still hear some anger in his voice. "Awe, she got her other boyfriend to tell me off. Doesn't seem like the type of girl I know. Any time I would try to talk to her, she'd curse me out! Doesn't seem like the nicest girl to me, does it? Nothing's gonna keep me away from Skylar. I will find her." Kian starts saying something, but a loud beep cuts him off. I sit there and bawl my eyes out whilst Kian sits there, trying to comfort me, but failing. After a few minutes, he speaks "Babe. Skylar. Look at me." I look up at him, but my vision is blurry from the tears that haven't dropped. He wipes my tears. "I need you to tell me who that man is and why you hate him." I nod, and tears keep falling as I squeeze my eyes closed. He squeezes my hand. "Back in Pennsylvania," I start, my voice steadying, and Kian nods along with the story. "I was the 'emo' girl that was easy to take advantage of, but then Jake came along. My parents loved him. I loved him. At least, I thought I did. He was nice, and when I needed someone, he was there. The bullying stopped when he hung around me." My voice cracks. "And then," I take a deep, shaky breath. "Then, I realized it was all just a lie. He came over to my house one day. We were just sitting on my bed, home alone, talking, when he pulls me into him and kisses me. But it wasn't like when we kiss. No, it was nothing like that. It was rough and forced. I tried pulling away, but he held too tight onto me. I just remember his breath, awful! Like he just drank alcohol and never brushed his teeth. H-he stuck his tongue in my mouth, so I bit it to get him off of me. He pulled away, and he, he smacked me!" My voice is shaking and tears are falling softly again, but I keep going. "He asked me a question, something like 'when do your parents get home' or something like that. I refused to tell him but he k-kept hitting me! I finally told him and he just, smiled! I got so scared. I tried yelling, but he covered my mouth. And he, he raped me." I say the last part quietly, but he still heard me. I start sobbing again, and Kian gets up and locks the door. "How long did this go on? Did your parents know? Did anyone know?" He says quietly. I whisper, "Four months," and shake my head, sobbing even more. He pulls me into him and I push myself far into him, as if he's going to keep everything bad that's happened in my life away. "What's wrong with me?" I say between sobs, but Kian just keeps saying shh. His knees are pulled into his chest, but he moves them so I can be on his lap. He pulls me onto his lap and I look at him. His eyes are red and puffy, and we are sitting in the dark. I stob sobbing long enough to ask him a question. "What room is this?" I sniffle and Kian looks down at me. "The laundry room." He chuckles and looks at me. He starts going in, but stops, hesitant. I smile at him through the tears and nod. He softly kisses my lips and I kiss back softly as well. We stay there for a few seconds and then I pull away. I stand up and turn the light on before I sit back on his lap and cross my legs around his body and my arms around his neck. I stare at him and set my head in the crook of his neck. We sit like that for a few minutes when I start to doze off.