CHAPTER 66 - ORION

Cold splashed across my face.

"Orion," Pharro yelled.

A sharp sting struck my cheek.

I jerked into a sitting position, everything flooding back all at once. "Where's Daniel?" I gasped, Asoiri dripping off the end of my nose. I looked wildly around, and the holding cell spun.

Someone caught my head as I fell back. "Careful. Careful," Tritteon said, lowering me to the ground.

"What happened to Daniel?" I pressed, wincing at the uncomfortable tugging in my chest.

"They are loading him onto the transport as we speak," Pharro said.

"They have decided you are incompetent," Tritteon growled. "I thought for sure his ability to move like that with a Black Neutralizer and a Laza chain on him would give them some pause. Nothing."

"Well, they aren't wrong," I grumbled, using my elbows to push myself back up. My limbs felt jittery and shook but held me. "I let him get under my skin so thoroughly he got the jump on me—the very definition of incompetence."

"I saw what happened. You were in no way incompetent. What he did should not have been possible."

I shook my head to clear the lights dancing across my vision. "I didn't even sense him move." I tried getting to my feet, but my legs were too shaky. "Help me up. I need to see them leave."

Tritteon lifted me without argument, supporting the majority of my weight with his arm encircling my waist.

"How do we know he won't be able to escape?"

Pharro shook his head. "As long as they take every precaution, there's no reason his transfer shouldn't go smoothly."

"And Gauwin and Aeryn assisted in taking him to the transport," Tritteon added. "They are there making sure he is secured properly."

"I need to see for myself."

Tritteon scooped me up. "We better run then."

* * * * *

We arrived just as Aeryn and Gauwin stepped out of the large pod, their eyes still black. Gauwin sucked on the end of one of her claws, blood smudging the corner of her mouth.

Tritteon lowered me to the ground but held onto me to keep me upright. From my vantage point, I could see into the pod, to the back where Daniel stared at the ground, secured into a black chair similar to the ones in the interrogation room. A deep cut split his cheek and it was obvious no one had taken the initiative to stop the bleeding as trails of red ran down his neck, soaking into the collar of his shirt. I would have to thank Gauwin later.

He looked up suddenly, meeting my eyes, and a wide sneer crossed his face.

"So glad you revived soon enough to see me off," he called out, startling the men around him.

When they realized he was still completely secure, they went back to preparing for departure.

"Oh. Tritteon. There was something I never got a chance to tell you," he continued.

"Will someone please shut him up," Tritteon growled.

None of the men moved to do any such thing.

"They're afraid of me," Daniel winked. "You should know, though—I left you a surprise with Angquin. I can't wait for you to find out what it is."

Tritteon's grip on me tightened.

Captain Lorik appeared in the doorway. He narrowed his eyes at me and nodded to Tritteon and Pharro. "Thank you for your cooperation," he said with a bow. "We will see that he makes it to the Capital Building."