CHAPTER 24 (PART 2) - ORION

...

I leaned forward, eyes narrowing on the picture of a misty, jagged, barren valley, not a tree or blade of grass in sight, let alone a mountain. "I don't understand."

"That's all that was left," he said.

I stilled, something cold prickling at my insides. "I...I thought Corvek was only a Vek."

He nodded. "There are many theories surrounding how he might have accomplished it." He watched me for a long moment, and then swiped his thumb across the device in his hand again. "But the fact that he was able to replicate it is all that matters."

The image changed. But it was so similar to the first it took me a moment to spot a large body of water in the distance—the only difference.

"Mount Vassa," he said quietly.

I swallowed to wet my throat. "He just obliterated two mountains? What exactly were the parameters of his new threat?"

"If I did not stop and relinquish my throne at the end of my term to the Monarch he personally endorsed, he promised he would do this to several major cities of his own choosing."

I swore. "Why Prince Konrath?"

He shook his head. "The Raziel family has always been reclusive and odd. Turns out, they've been hiding quite a lot. Unfortunately, by the time anyone realized it, deposing them was no longer an option. Not with allies like that."

I blew out a breath. "Then why am I here if—"

Rilyin straightened, the entirety of his title appearing all at once in his very countenance. "Because no matter how many others have simply decided to roll over and accept the current direction this kingdom is headed, I will not. This was never about protecting my line. This is about making sure that demon does not win."

"It sounds like he already has."

"Perhaps. But not for long."

I rolled my eyes. "I have agreed to nothing."

"And there is no need for you to do so at this time. This is not a decision I expect you to make any time soon. I still have two years left on my term. So long as we make sure no one suspects anything, no one will be in any danger."

"You mean if I pretend to be your Guardian?"

"There is no way to pretend such a thing. You would officially take over for Tritteon when he returns to Delmare in about a year. And in the meantime, you would be my Prospective-Guardian-in-Training. No one would ever believe I would put my chosen heir in such a life-threatening position. And after your magnificent display of skill today, all those whose opinions really matter in this situation are already on their way to believing it."

I squinted at him, recalling something he'd said when he'd announced me to everyone. "The attempts on your life were made because of me."

"Yes. As a warning that they were aware of your presence, knowing full well I couldn't actually be killed by them, and if I did not stop, further actions would be taken."

It took me a moment to remember he couldn't see the look of disgust on my face. "It sounds like your plan has already failed."

He sighed. "Your hair and these attempts are something we already planned for. Like I said, only those whose opinions matter are here, and as the MieVicor is so remote and all communications to the outside world have been disabled, this is the perfect opportunity for you to be presented in a way we have full control over."

"You call multiple assassination attempts control?"

"We've survived them so far," he grinned.

"So far," I rolled my eyes. "Also, what is it about my hair? I haven't missed the looks everyone has been giving me because of it."