CHAPTER 39 - ORION

The arena was spotless. There wasn't a single broken pillar or beam. We stopped in the middle of the huge room, Daniel still at my back, Tritteon ten feet in front of me.

"You look like death," Tritteon said, his eyes full of concern.

"I don't feel it. He made sure of that." I moved my neck just enough to know where the blade was. "What did you hit me with, Daniel?"

"The fire prod."

Tritteon grimaced.

"In my defense, I fully expected you to dodge it. I had no intention of weakening you. I was looking forward to a good death match." He pressed my neck forward. "On your knees."

I sank to the ground and he crouched next to me, still holding the blade to my throat.

"You know what kind of blade this is, Tritteon," Daniel said. "I don't think I need to remind you to stand your ground."

"Why do you think you are still alive?" Tritteon growled.

Daniel laughed, thoroughly enjoying himself.

I peered up at Tritteon through my eyelashes, unable to stop the burning in my eyes. "What kind of blade is it?"

"It's called a Xepa," Daniel said into my ear. I felt his Poeir begin to flow into my brand. "Now, listen carefully. You will ignore the weaknesses of your body. Your body is strong. You will kill Tritteon. And then you will kill yourself."

An embarrassing whimper escaped my mouth as the stabbing, powerful command encompassed my entire body, demanding perfect compliance.

"Speak yes if my command is fully accepted."

I gasped, choking on a sob, unable to fight against it. "Yes," I cried.

"Good luck," he whispered, lifting the blade from my throat.

Tritteon took a step forward.

I stiffened as Daniel pressed the tip of the knife into my shoulder. "It only takes an inch, Tritteon," he threatened.

Tritteon backed off, his hands raised.

What kind of knife was it?

Daniel lifted sticky hair away from my neck, exposing the brand. "I almost forgot. I cannot have you cancelling out what I've done, FengDohrn."

"NO!" Tritteon yelled.

I screamed as the blade cut across my skin, right through the middle of the brand.

Daniel retreated and Tritteon slid to the ground, grabbing the back of my neck. I felt the heat of his Poeir against my skin, but it wouldn't absorb.

"No. No. Come on," he yelled, pushing more Poeir against it.

"The connection is broken, FengDohrn. And it will be that way until it heals completely," Daniel taunted from across the room.

Tritteon let go of me and lunged for him.

But one of Daniel's commands to me had been to protect him with my life.

My claws shot out and I jumped, hooking them into Tritteon's leg.

He roared and whirled, kicking out at me. But I used my literal leverage and forced his leg to twist him into a fall.

"Fight it," he yelled at me, pulling himself free.

"I can't," I gasped, filling my hands with fiery red Destere. The harder I tried to stop myself, the more the command itself seemed to take over, forcing every bit of my will from my body.