CHAPTER 48 - TRITTEON

I couldn't begin to guess how long I was there for, slipping in and out of consciousness. If it hadn't been for my version of the Protection, I would have stayed unconscious. But each time a Carnac stepped into the hallway below, the threat of danger forced my body awake. And I was beginning to notice that with each jolt, I was able to hold onto that consciousness for less and less time. My body was failing, my Protection going with it.

It was during one of those short, waking moments, someone, not a Carnac, stepped into the hallway. The man looked about mid-twenties and around Pharro's height. His hair was short and black and his face was an older version of all of Daniel's features.

Daniel's partner—the other Vek.

The man examined something on the ground far below the balcony, crouching to get a closer look. I couldn't hear his thoughts. He let out a shrill whistle and three Carnac darted out of the Korbell Room. He motioned for them to take a look at whatever it was he had found.

I swore internally. The blackness crept in again, pushing my consciousness out of the way. And I was too weak to fight it.

* * * * *

Another jolt shook me awake. Had I heard an explosion? The ground beneath me trembled slightly, attesting to it. The sound had come from the east. The most significant thing on the east side of the building was the—hangar.

Had they blown up all means of escape?

I peered down, wondering how long I had been out this time. The man and his Carnac were gone.

Something beside me caught my eye. Dark blood pooled around me, around the rungs of the balcony, disappearing over the edge. I zeroed in on the spot the man had been examining. A splattering circle of blood, easily the size of my head.

I had to get out of here. The man knew I was up here. With an almost impossible amount of effort, I reached for the portal ring on my thumb and twisted it clockwise three times. Both rings and the pad crumbled to dust.

The blackness settled back in.

* * * * * * * * * * *