CHAPTER 13 (PART 2) - TRITTEON

...

"Neill," Colleena called. "Her blood is back in. Numb the area now and take over for Tritteon."

Angquin's grip tightened on my hand.

"It is the tiniest of needles," I promised.

"You said that last time."

"Well, in my defense, that particular needle was a lot smaller than the iron bar that went through your shoulder."

"What are we talking about?" Vasprey asked, confused.

"The assassination attempt on you and Rilyin outside Harwall Court Cemetery," Angquin said.

Vasprey cringed. "Ah. The pod explosion. That was a lot of iron fencing."

"You are all lucky it wasn't worse," Neill chimed in. "Those bars were not fun to take out of either of you."

"The experience was not all that pleasant on our end either," Angquin said with a weak smile, used to Neill's dry sense of humor.

Neill stuck the needle in her arm and pulled it out before she could say anything against it.

"Okay. You were right. I barely felt that one," Angquin admitted.

"Alright, Tritteon. I have her," Neill said, stepping into my place.

Angquin's grip on my hand loosened. "Wow, that stuff works fast."

I squeezed her hand gently and placed it into Vasprey's waiting one.

"She is in good hands, Tritteon," Vasprey reassured me, rubbing my arm.

"I know," I said, still pausing. That wasn't the cause of my hesitation. I was listening to Colleena's momentary thoughts concerning the unnamed girl. She needed to check on her again. She might have awakened by now. She needed to not be left alone when everything was so new, especially after such a traumatizing experience.

Colleena's thoughts shifted and I bowed, excusing myself to fulfill Angquin's request, appreciating the fact that doing so would only add to our assigned charade. Not that it currently needed any help. Seth's actions had given us the opportunity to set everything up better than I could have hoped. There wasn't a doubt in anyone's mind, that I could hear, that something was going on between us they were only just now noticing. "Thank you, Colleena."

She nodded, pursing her lips together in a brief smile. "Don't let this happen again, Tritteon. Please be more vigilant."

I lowered my gaze. "Yes, ma'am." And walked swiftly from the room.

Guardian's attempted to swarm me with questions before I entered the arena. But I dodged around them, toward the lone door to the right of the arena doors, Gauwin standing in front of it. She lowered her gaze and stepped aside quickly as I approached.

With an easy flick of my fingers, my Thet threw the door wide and Seth jolted to his feet at the back of the small, disqualification room. And three strides were all it took to reach him, draw back my arm, and drop him before he had a chance to consider defending himself.

"You are lucky her hand is still attached," I snarled, resisting the urge to kick him in the ribs. I had no doubt doing so would result in a few broken bones Colleena would then have to take the time to heal up before tomorrow.

Seth pushed himself slowly to his knees, fearful of making any sudden movements. "I am so sorry. Truly. I don't know what came over me—"

I didn't wait for him to finish. With another flick of Thet, I slammed the door shut behind me and walked back into the arena.