Chapter 9 - Tris

I feel the sun warming my face and smile.  I haven't slept this well in literally years.  I wish I could stay like this the rest of the day.  My eyes snap open as I realize that an unfamiliar hand has just gently squeezed my shoulder. "Fuck!"  I shoot up to a sitting position, knocking the hand away, looking wildly for the stranger who has been touching me. 

Four jumps, startled, opening his eyes, "What's wrong?"

"Oh my God!  What happened?  Why are you still here?"  Panicking, I pat myself down and feel that I still have my scrubs on from yesterday.  I don't think he did anything, but I'm not sure.  The last thing I remember was sitting on the couch watching the movie.

Four looks me in the eyes, making his words slow, like he's trying to make sure I understand him.  "Tris, it's ok.  I tried waking you up last night, but you rolled onto my chest.  When I tried to move you so I could leave, you clung to my shirt and asked me to stay."  I stare, dumbfounded at his words.  He's kept eye contact the whole time, like he's trying to make sure I know he isn't lying. "I would never do anything to hurt you Tris." 

"I asked you to stay?"  Still unsure of my actions, but feeling the blush creep up my neck.

"You did.  So I stayed."  He says with a small smile. 

I look down, smiling.  In my sleep deprived state, I must have asked, but why?  "Four, you didn't have to do that."

"It's ok.  I really don't think I had a chose in the matter.  You had a pretty tight grip on my shirt."  He says with a chuckle. 

I close my eyes, 'God, if you are listening.  You can kill me right now and I would be ok with that.'  I place my face in my hands, trying not to show how embarrassed I am right now.  Then look back up at him through my fingers.

He chuckles, glancing at his watch.  "Tris it's ok.  Really.  You must have really needed the sleep.  You've been out for nearly eleven hours." 

I put my hands down and look at him with wide eyes.  I haven't slept like that since before Zoe was born.  Then reality sets in.  I look at the clock on the microwave and see that it says 8:07.  "Shit!  I'm late."

I run toward my purse searching for my phone so I can call Tori.  She picks up on the second ring.  "What's wrong, is everything ok?  You aren't hurt are you?"  She says quickly. 

I usually don't call before 8:30, and the only time I have, there's been a problem. "Tori, I'm so sorry.  I forgot to set my alarm.  I over slept.  I'll be in as soon as I get a shower."  I say frantically.

She pauses, "Tris, it's ok, calm down.  You hardly miss a day of work without a good reason.  Take your time.  I'll take care of it."

"Thanks Tori.  I'll get there as soon as I can."

She laughs, "Bye."

I can finally feel the panic begin to subside as I look at my phone, turning to look at Four.

He gets up from the couch, "I take it you aren't fired?" he says with a chuckle. 

I smile, "Not even close."

He closes his eyes, yawning, putting his arms over his head, and begins arching his back in a stretch.  The dark grey polo he has on rides up, and I can see his defined stomach.  I turn away quickly before I get caught.  Why does he have to be so good looking? 

"Tris, I had a really good time with you this weekend.  Maybe we can get together for the fourth of July or something?" 

I would love to get to know this man more, but I also want to do it without Zoe here first.  If he turns out to be crazy, I don't want her to be here.  Though, after last night, I'm starting to think that less.  He had every opportunity to do something to me in my unconscious state and didn't.