Chapter 27 - Tris

A/N:  So I had a little time today, and was able to complete the next chapter sooner than I expected.  Thanks again for reading, commenting, and voting. I really enjoy hearing your thoughts about the chapters.  Enjoy!

I look at my computer screen reading over the evaluation I've just done on the new patient we got today. I'm trying to keep my true feelings out of my report, but it is so hard right now. I honestly can't stand this guy. I don't know if it was the way he spoke to me, the way he looked at me, or even having to touch him, but I didn't like being in that room with him by myself. I don't know if I should feel bad for thinking this, but he won't be living much longer. His lung cancer was pretty advanced and we were mostly picking him up to educate the staff on getting him in and out of the bed and walking with the rolling walker.

I sigh, leaning back in my chair to rub my temples. As much as I didn't care for this guy, the grandson was really creepy. It was hard enough trying to get his grandfather to follow any of my directions, but something about the grandson made my skin crawl, making it difficult to work. He looked at me like I was a slimy piece of garbage that he found on the bottom of his shoe. He often made snide comments about how I wasn't doing my job correctly, especially when I had to instruct his grandfather on how to walk probably with the walker. The way he looked at me clearly read that I shouldn't be the one doing the evaluation. That it should have been a man instead of a woman.

Tori walks in, shutting the door behind her. She crosses her arms, her face tense. "So what do you think of the new guy, Mr. Barnett?"

I look to the door, then back to Tori. "Do you want my professional or personal opinion?"

She looks down and reaches behind her to lock the door, then looks back up to me. Clearly uncomfortable. "Personal."

I sigh. "Personally I think we need to keep two people in there at all times during treatment. He seems the type to say we did something to him, when we didn't, and sue us for every penny he can. Not to mention he's an ass and his grandson gives me the creeps and is a dick. Especially when he refused to give me his name because he said it was, and I quote, 'It's none of your damn business.'"

Tori nods, looking down again. "The grandson's name is David Barnett. Unfortunately, he is the power of attorney, so we'll have to try our best to accommodate to his insane wishes concerning his grandfather, but I'm glad to know you and I are on the same page."

I relax slightly. Good. It's not just me. Tori continues, "David is someone I'm not looking forward to dealing with. His opinion of women doesn't appear to be the highest. He's already complained that the nurses here won't be able to take care of his grandfather properly. He's also some big shot down at the CDC, so he thinks he knows everything there is to know about healthcare. It wouldn't surprise me if he'll find the cure for cancer in the next few weeks." Her voice dripping with sarcasm.

Well shit. A jackass that's well educated, but is a sexiest and thinks he knows everything. Great. But then something occurs to me, "Tori, if he's working at the CDC, making probably several more figures than you and I, why is he here? Can't he afford private care?"

A darkness crosses her face, "David actually used several different home health and private care agencies before he brought his grandfather here, but often fired them for one reason or another." Tori pauses before she continues, "I called some of the agencies this morning to confirm my suspensions, and all of them said the same thing. He either fired them for sending out women to see his grandfather, or they discharged him because David was verbally abusive toward the staff or the grandfather was sexually harassing the nurses."

Awesome. Just awesome. "Well, then I guess we'll be having Nathan treating him as often as possible then?" I feel bad that Nathan will have to be the one to handle the bulk of this guy's care. But I really don't see any other way around this right now, since poisoning would more than likely lead to a jail sentence.