Chapter 32 - Tobias

A/N: Wow, I didn't think I could evoke such strong emotions with the last chapter. I worked hard to get this out tonight. Thanks for the votes, comments, reads, and follows. You guys are amazing as always. Enjoy.

Tris touches my face, "Do you want me to answer?" 

I can see in her eyes that she would take the burden off of me to answer this call.  But I won't do that to her.  While Nita loved the attention of men, if she ever felt threatened by another woman, she became cruel and just down right bitchy.  Tris shouldn't have to deal with Nita, even if it would be slightly interesting to see what Tris would say.   

I sigh, the muscles in my neck tensing.  "No, I'll take care of it." 

Tris swings her legs off me, so I can stand up, grabbing my underwear in the process.  I deleted Nita's number the moment I was out of Chicago, but I still recognize her number from the two years we dated.  I think I know why she's calling, and it only increases my disgust toward her even more.  

I take a deep breath in and hit accept, using my most serious tone.  "Hello?"

Her voice purrs into the phone, and I resist the urge to end the phone call immediately, "Oh Four, I'm so glad I got ahold of you.  I've missed you so much."

I can feel my anger rising quickly.  I have no tolerance for her shitty attempt at making me believe she wants me.  Not that I would take her back even if she was sincere.  I still can't believe I dated her for two years.  What the hell was I thinking?!

I grip the counter, trying not to hit something.  "Nita, did you forget what I said to you the last time we talked?  I want nothing to do with you.  Ever." 

She continues with her most seductive voice, not faltering under my words, "I didn't forget Four, but I've had a lot of time to think, and I've come to realize I can't live without you.  I made a huge mistake.  I don't know what I saw in Jason.  He was nothing like you.  I see that now."

She pauses to let that sink in, but I don't give two shits.  "It has been so hard to live without you being here.  Please forgive me?  Can we please try again?" Her voice pouty, pleading.  But entirely deceitful.

During the time I knew Nita, I never knew her to be apologize for anything she did, unless it got her something in return.  There are only two reasons I can think for her to be calling now, after nearly fourteen months without speaking.  One, being the more likely of the two, she thinks I'm still tied to my father and his fortune after seeing the news.  Which I'm not.  And two, a reporter has offered her an obscene amount of money if she can convince me to talk. 

I growl into the phone, "Did this sudden epiphany of remorse come when you were watching the news this week?"

I hear the briefest of pauses.  I can practically hear the gears in her head switching tactics.  Nita was never one for thinking her plans through. Never coming up with a good back up plan. Often making it painfully obvious when she was caught in a lie.  "Oh no Four.  I've been meaning to call you for a while, but I've been trying make sure I'm better for you.  I know I wasn't the best girlfriend, but I want to try again.  I want to be better for you.  Be better for us."

I close my eyes, and continuing gripping the counter, my knuckles turning white.  Her bullshit is utterly nauseating. "Nita, I'm only going to say this one last time.  I'm done. We are done.  I don't care how remorseful you are; I want nothing to do with you. Ever.  Besides, I'm with someone else, and I have no intention of ever leaving her."  I hear Tris move behind me.  I'm not sure if she is attempting to listen, or tune out the conversation.