Chapter 34 - Tobias

A/N: Thank you all so much for the comments and likes. I worked really, really hard on this chapter, and many tears were shed during my time writing it. Thank you so much @Depecher for all your help. Especially when I needed a laugh. Hope you have tissues handy. Enjoy!

My feet hit the pavement hard as I run toward the hospital doors.  The moment I knew where she was taken, I sped here, not caring if I was pulled over.  A sort of mantra is running through my head right now.  The same phrases over and over.  'Please God no!  Anyone but her!  Please!  You have only just started making up for my childhood by bringing her into my life!  You can't take her away now!'

I nearly slam my body into the slow automatic doors, attempting to get to her.  I skid to a stop in front of the receptionist, slamming my hands on the counter.  She can clearly see that I'm upset, and leans back in her chair.  "Tris."  I shake my head remembering they probably don't have her under that name.  "I mean Beatrice Prior!  Where is she?"  I demand.  My breathing is erratic, making it difficult to talk, but it's not from the running.  I am so close to tipping over the edge of insanity.  I can't do it here though.  Not now.  Not yet.

The woman starts typing on the computer, stealing glances at me to make sure I don't jump over the counter to hurt her.  "She's still in surgery right now.  There's a waiting area on the third floor, second door on the left when you get off the elevators."  She gestures toward a hallway to the right with elevators, a look of relief crosses her face as I begin running toward the them. 

A small amount of hope blossoms in my chest at the woman's words.  If she's in surgery, then she's still alive.  I bolt down the hall that the receptionist indicated and jam my thumb on the button, waiting.  "Fuck."  I mumble.  I can't wait here.  I need action.  I turn my head and see the sign for the stairs and run toward the door.  I pull it open and begin taking stairs two at a time.  I need to keep moving.  I can't stop.  If I stop, I'll hear her screams again, and again.

I come out on the third floor, and start jogging toward the waiting area.  I look around, trying to see if I recognize anyone here.  They might know what happened.  Be able to tell me that this is all some huge mistake or sick joke.

My eyes land on Andrew, who's close to the windows.  His elbows rest on his knees, his hands are laced together, pressed to his forehead, his eyes closed.  He appears to be in silent prayer. 

"Andrew!"  I don't mean to be as loud as I am, but I'm having difficulty controlling my volume right now.  I can almost hear the echo of her scream in my ears just standing here.  His head snaps up as he sees me standing in the doorway.  He quickly stands, coming over to me.  He puts his hand on my shoulder, steering me away from the waiting room.  I can only assume so that we don't disturb the other families.  Many heads are turning in my direction; some have knowing looks on their faces, like they have some idea of what I'm going through.  They can't possibly know what I'm feeling. 

He continues to guide me further down the hall, but he doesn't say anything.  I can't take this anymore, I need to know what is going on.  I need to know what happened to Tris.  The only information I got was a text from Tori saying Tris had been taken here.  Any attempt I made to call her was sent to voicemail.  I turn around, stopping in front of Andrew.  "What is going on?"  I demand.

Andrew holds my gaze, though he appears much older than he actually is.  This is clearly taking its toll on him worrying about the fate of his daughter.  "Beatrice is in surgery right now..."

"I got that!"  I snap.  I look down at the floor, running my shaking hands through my hair.  I look back up into his face, expecting anger, but all I see is worry.  "I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to yell at you."