Chapter 35 - Tris

A/N:  This is the last chapter before the epilogue.  It has been an incredible journey writing this.  You guys have been absolutely amazing.  I greatly appreciate the comments, votes, reads, and follows.  Thank you again to Depecher for all your help.  I hope everyone enjoys. 

Hospitals suck. There, I said it. Even though I've worked in one on and off for years, I now understand why my patients hated seeing me come into their rooms. It's been a week since that asshole shot and stabbed me, and I'm going crazy staring at the same white walls. Every time a doctor, nurse, one of the therapists, or even just the person that brings my meals comes in my room, I practically want to scream. I just want to be left alone. I'm tired of being poked, of being told about how important it is for me to rest, follow precautions, or even just to make sure I ask for pain killers. I know all that! I've told my patients' the exact same thing for years, for crying out loud!

While the pain has been at the forefront of my mind, having to deal with yet another stream of lawyers and media attention has just added exhaustion onto the growing list of things I've been dealing with. Local and national news stations wanted me to come on, and recount my experience when I became well enough. I told them it absolutely wasn't going to happen, and luckily when they realized I wasn't backing down, they quit asking.

The CEO of my company as well as the mayor of Atlanta wanted to present me with awards for my bravery, but I felt it was too much. Anyone with the same skills would have done something similar. David needed to be stopped, and I knew I was the only one that could do something about it. I didn't want to be rewarded for hurting someone, even if they did deserve it.

The lawyers and police officers have by far been the worst to deal with. The police wanted a play by play of exactly what happened and took pictures of my injuries to go along with my account. But then they had to go deeper, asking about what he did while I worked with his grandfather. What he said to me in any of the encounters we had. If I had any idea that he was capable of doing this.

When the police finally left, I felt emotionally drained. I couldn't hold back the tears any longer, and began sobbing. Tobias tried comforting me from where he sat, afraid he would hurt me, but eventually he climbed into the bed with me, holding me gently to him. Telling me over and over that he loved me, and that he would protect me no matter what.

Lawyers from both sides came in a few days later, asking me questions ranging from what happened, wanting to know exactly how I felt, how much pain I was in, to how it was effecting every aspect of my life. They asked what I wanted when all was said and done, and I told them I honestly just wanted to make sure David stayed in jail where he couldn't hurt anyone else. Though, I have a feeling that David's lawyers' will be going with the insanity plea, given how many questions they asked about his mental facilities.

With everything that has gone on this week, I miss just a few things. I miss my home. I miss normality. I mostly miss my daughter. I want to take away the fear and pain in her eyes when she looks at me every time she comes into the room.

When I was taken out of ICU, Zoe came the next day to visit. I have never seen her so scared to come near me. She cried so hard when she saw the wires and tubes sticking out of me; seeing the amount of pain I was in, even with my best effort to hide it. Tobias comforted her when I couldn't, and assured her that I would be ok. She clung to him, and griped my right hand, sobbing as he continued to repeat to her that I was going to be alright. I have never felt so powerless as I did that day. And for that, I hate David for what he did, and hope he stays in jail for a long time for what he did. Crazy or not.