Chapter 18 - Tobias

**Sorry for not posting this sooner. I have had a horrible sinus infection this week. I hope you enjoy. Please leave a comment. I would love to know what you guys think.**

I'm waiting outside the building where Tris' class is.  Tris just called saying that she should be there with Zoe in a few minutes.  I'm concerned tonight won't go well.  I have to keep telling myself we've been over different strategies for tonight, as well as holds and her stance so many times.  I really don't see how she could be any more prepared for him.  The backup, though Tris didn't care for it, is that I have to intervene.  My biggest fear is that he'll take a cheap shot at her ribs before she can react or I can get to him. 

I'm noticing that the more I'm around Tris, the harder it becomes to leave her presence.  I think I'm falling for her, but it seems too soon to say anything.  But the more I think about her, the harder time I have imagining her not in my life.  I know most men would probably cringe at the thought of coming into a relationship with a kid involved, but I don't mind.  I actually like Zoe.  She really is a great kid, full of questions about life and actually appears happy, even with everything that has been going on in her life. 

I never saw myself with kids up to meeting Tris.  Some part of me has always been terrified that any child of mine would trigger some deep rooted hate and I never wanted a child to have to live through what I did.  With Tris and Zoe, I have this urge to protect them, to keep them safe from the horrors of the world.  Up to this point, I have never really had that level of desire to protect someone other than myself and my mother.

Tris' car pulls up to mine, pulling me from my thoughts.  She looks over smiling, and I feel some of the tension leave my body.  God she's beautiful.  Her eye is still black, but not nearly as bad as it was last Monday.  I get out and Zoe comes running over, "Hey Tobias!  Are you here to help mom tonight?"

I smile, "I'm here more for support and to cheer her on mostly." 

She motions for me to lean down so she can whisper something in my ear.  I look over to see that Tris is pulling their bags out of the trunk.  I lean down so she can reach my ear, "Don't let Eric hurt her anymore.  I don't like him.  He's scary."  Her voice cracks slightly on the end.  She is truly terrified of this guy. 

I look at her face and see the concern for her mother.  Tris didn't fool her at all.  She knows Eric hurt her on purpose.  I hold my hand up to her ear so Tris won't hear.  "I'm here to protect your mom too, but don't tell her ok?"

She suddenly wraps her little arms around my neck, and I freeze not sure what to do, "Thank you Tobias.  And I won't say anything." 

I smile, and give her a quick squeeze before releasing her. A different kind of warmth begins spreading over me.  Zoe looks up to me, grabbing my hand.  She starts pulling me toward the door, and I can hear Tris start to laugh behind me. 

"Zoe, honey, calm down.  My class isn't for another twenty minutes, but your class starts in five."  Zoe drops my hand to turn to Tris.

Zoe takes the bag Tris hands her, frowning, "But I wanted Tobias to come watch my class before your class started." 

I laugh at her look, "Zoe, I have to be invited by your instructor.  Maybe next time ok?" 

She still appears somewhat dejected as she looks at her feet.  "Ok."  She looks back up at me, "I'll see you after class right?" 

"I promise I'll be here when you get done."

She smiles, turning back to Tris, "Good luck mom."  She goes to the door, running inside. 

I go over to Tris, being careful not to touch her.  We don't want anyone here knowing we're dating right now.  Tris managed to talk the owner, Max, into letting me watch.  She said that I was interested in the class, but wanted to know what it looked like first.  Tris is shifting from one foot to other, and is biting her bottom lip.