Chapter 24 - Tobias

I will never understand this weather. One minute it's cool, the next minute it's warm enough to play paintball. In the middle of January. Living in Chicago, you were lucky if you didn't freeze your ass off walking to your car. Living it in Atlanta, I don't think I'll be breaking out my winter coat. Ever. Though Tris said that while it does snow here occasionally, the whole city practically shuts down for just a few inches, which I find hilarious.

Zeke invited everyone to play a few rounds of paintball today, saying that according to the news, it will more than likely be raining all next week, and that getting out would cure some of his cabin fever. I smile. I don't think I would mind more alone time with Tris. My Christmas present has greatly increased our time, but even that doesn't seem to be enough. It's hard enough right now keeping my hands off her while I'm driving to the paintball compound.

"Whatcha thinking?" Tris interrupts my thoughts.

I smile, glancing quickly at her, "You."

She squeezes my hand that rests on her knee, "As in me naked and entangled around your body?" Her voice is incredibly sexy.

I nearly cross the middle line at her words, as images of this morning flash to the front of my mind. Thankfully the road is empty. I suck in a breath, trying my best to control myself. "If you don't want to die, you better not say something like that without warning me."

She laughs, "You mean to tell me you didn't get enough of me this morning?"

I move my hand up her inner thigh, hearing her breath hitch as I go higher, "I will never get enough of you."

Her voice is breathy, almost pleading, "Tobias. You better stop. I really don't know your friends that well, but I can only imagine what they would do if they saw us in a compromising position in the parking lot. Because if your hand goes any higher, I will be taking off your pants and taking you the minute we stop."

I keep my hand where it is, moving my fingers dangerously close to where I want to be right now. I make sure to keep my eyes on the road. "Is that some kind of challenge? Because I'm not seeing a down side."

I quickly glance to look at her, and see the smirk on her face, before returning my eyes to the road. "I really don't think I'm up for that challenge Tobias. I'm not much of an exhibitionist."

I chuckle, moving my hand back to her knee, "Honestly, I'm not either."

**********

I'm crouched by one of the many barricades in the arena, my gun at the ready. Zeke catches my attention for everyone to move forward toward the girls' area where their flag is. I signal for Uriah and Will to cover my back, running low till I'm next to Zeke.

I take a quick look over the barricade and see that Lynn is the only one in site guarding the flag, while Zeke covers Uriah and Will. We have yet to see anyone else at this point, and I'm starting to get suspicious. This doesn't feel right. A few moments later, Will and Uriah run up behind us, crouching down.

"Ok, I still haven't seen any of the girls this game. What do you think they are doing? And as far as I can see, they only have Lynn guarding. Why would they put one of the best players there?" Will whispers close to me. I shrug my shoulders trying to be silent. Will has confirmed my suspicions.

Uriah is facing the opposite direction, guarding our back, but turns toward Zeke, keeping his voice low. "I say we keep going forward. We have the advantage at this point. Even if they are all hiding over the next barricade, we are the better shots."

Will starts talking to Uriah and Zeke about a potential strategy, when I feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I look behind me again, but don't see anything. I've felt like we've been watched nearly this whole game. But surely if it was one of the girls, they would have fired at us already.